CPU at 100% Constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadgirl

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop. It's about 3 years old but still ok. The CPU is working to 100% ALL THE TIME, the fan is on all the time to prevent it from overheating. This cannot be good. I reformatted my HD and reinstalled XP etc which made it all sexy and new again but the CPU usage is still at maximum. I'm not one with vast amounts of computer knowledge or money, so I cannot afford to replace it. Please help!

Sadgirl

What process is using the CPU? You can sort the process listing in Task Manager by clicking on the column header. Click twice on the CPU column to get the hogging processes at the top.

whoa! found the little blighter. Good tip there thanks :) It calls itself WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe. Never heard of it. When I right click over it the two options are to end process or end process tree- both warn 'loss of data and system instability'. Are they empty threats or would it bugger up my computer if i ended the process? I tried searching for it to end it that way but it doesn't come up. Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Take a look HERE it may help.

The process WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe is part of the Belkin network card, the above link shows you how to fix it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back