CPU Compatability with new MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrybody

I am replacing a AM37-MB in my sisters Compaq Presario 6415CL Desktop because of a failed PS2 port. I have obtained a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L MB which will fit . I have new DDR 2700 RAM. I am also replacing the power supply for good measure. What I failed to check is the compatabality of the original processor (AthalonXP 2000+/266mhz) with the new MB. Foxconn does not list the 2000+ processor, but does list the 2100+/266Mhz, 2200+/266Mhx, and 2400+/266Mhz processors as compatable. Will I run into any problems installing the original CPU into the new MB?

one problem you are likely to run into is that the exisitng hard drive probably wont boot with the new motherboard. the new board is a SIS chipset. also likely is that after changing to a completely different mobo the compaq recovery CD's wont install on a different set up. (depends on whether or not you have an xp Cd or a "recovery" disk.)

You are correct. I plan on reformating the hard drive (40 GB ultra DMA) and doing a clean install of Windows XP Pro from a new CD.

It's silly to replace an entire M/B just because the PS2 ports died. U can use USB keyboard and mouse, or if u still want to use ur old mouse and keyboard, u can buy a USB to PS2 adapter for dirt cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back