Cpu/dram Clock Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, JUST INSTALLED PC CHIP M48A MOTHERBOARD ALONG WITH A AMD XP 266 + CPU AND 2X PC 320 400 MHZ 256 RAM.

THE SYSTEM BIOS ALLOWS YOU TO CHANGE THE CPU AND RAM FREQUENCY AND HAS A CPU/DRAM CLOCK RATIO SETTING.

ON THE AUTO SETUP THAT I AM USING IT SHOWS THE CPU BUS FREQUENCY AS 166 MHZ WITH A CLOCK RATIO OF 1.1. DOES THIS SOUND OK AND CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT THE CLOCK RATIO IMPLIES.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

THANKS.

1, Welcome to TS
2, PLEASE lose the caps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your nux to come to a board and just start posting in caps

I dont really know about hte clock ratio thing, but 166 as the bus doesnt sound right if you have a 266MHz [bus] AthlonXP. It should be 133.. however if I were you I'd just set it to auto-config in your bios.

The clock ratio determines how the fast the memory will run in relation to the speed of the CPU's FSB. 1:1 means that both the CPU and the memory will run at the same frequency, rather than at a ratio of that frequency.

For example, a your CPU runs at 133MHz FSB. 1:1 would make your CPU and memory run in sync at 133MHz FSB (this would be 266MHz DDR). If you were to set the ratio to 3:2, your CPU would run at a 133MHz while your memory would run at 88MHz (133MHz / 3) x 2 = 88MHz).

Usually the best performance will come from keeping this setting at 1:1. However, if you have memory that can handle higher speeds than your CPU, you might try changing the ratio where the memory runs faster than the CPU.

right, ive got a m848alu with an AMD 2800+ and 2x 256m 400mhz ddr ram... my cpu is suppose to run at like 2.08ghz with the original (auto-detected) clock.. but i pushed it up to 183, making my speed a 2.29ghz stable in winxp... but i left the 1:1 ratio alone.. i tried to change it so the ddr speed was close to 200 (making the true speed 400) and it wouldn't boot. so, again. i left it at 1:1.. and if the m848 had a better bios, i could change the voltage and probably get more like 2.6ghz out of it.. >.O but as it stands i'll be upgrading soon.. i was thinking of the 3200+ but a friend of mine says that the 2800+ arcitecture allows for a great OC yield and therefore i should stick with it.. but i don't really like the 333mhz fsb.. i think i'd rather the 400mhz fsb.. but i don't know if i'd really see a difference.. except for the price.. hehe.. 333mhz is like $120, compared to $200+ for the 400mhz.. (prices are from newegg.com) any insights?

Please don't use all caps to make a post, people tend to not want to help you, and it is a good way to get your post deleted

Agissi, using 37 !'s is also a good way to get your deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back