CPU fan doesn't automatically speed up anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My CPU heatsink fan doesn't automatically speed up like it used to when the CPU usage stays high for a long period of time.

The stupid decision from my side that I believe might have lead to this problem is this: I wanted to remove dust from the insides of my computer, and since I didn't have a can of air, I used a vaccum cleaner with a hose instead, to suck up all the dust. I put the hose near the heatsink fan blades, making the fan spin crazy fast in hope of getting out the dust.

Is this a unique case of sheer dusting foolishness? Or is this common, and therefore a solution readily available?

I didn't put my specs since I think they're not needed, but I can post them if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TechSpot

I thought it's recommended to prevent the fan from spinning when vacuuming, so that the high speed doesn't cause damage to the fan bearings.

Have you checked that the fan is still plugged in correctly?

Well, the fan is plugged in correctly...So does that mean I actually might have damaged it by the spinning :( ? If that's the case, is a replacement the only option now or is it possible to fix the current one?

Thank you.

So it spins but at constant speed? That sounds a bit odd, but maybe it's broken somehow. Have you tried other fan connectors (if they have speed adjustment)?

I don't think it would be easy to fix, and a new one won't cost much.

One thing I forgot to note is that when turning on the computer from an off state, the fan does start up really fast and gradually slows to normal speed, just like it has always done (that's normal). But yes, after that, it does not speed up like it should when the CPU usage remains high (doesn't stay strictly at a constant speed, i.e. ranges from 2300-2450 rpm). Previously, if the cpu was over 50% for about at least a minute, I would hear the fan get loud (and above 3500 rpm). Now I don't even hear that.

Well, I'm not really knowledgable about this stuff, so I'm not sure I can change either the fan or fan connectors myself without creating other problems. Darn, I need to find someone to do this for me...

Thanks for your help.

It might work just like it should. When you cleaned off the dust, the temperature doesn't rise so much anymore, and thus the fan doesn't need to spin faster.

Hmm, the dust might have helped that much you think? Certainly a possibilty. It would help if I could remember the fan's behavior during the computer's very first days. Oh well, I'm going to take your advice and wait and see if I notice any problems in performance or otherwise.

I doubt you damaged the fan by making it spin fast. I clean mine with air out of a air compressor hose out in the garage. Makes it spin so fast it makes a voom sound haha. Mine still works fine. It has a controller on the fan or on a wire to the fan that you can set automatic manual or off doesn't it? Check that. Check connections on the wire ect.

But really i wouldn't worry about it. If its not screwing it up that is. If it's not broke don't fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back