CPU Fan loud no matter what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a custom computer I built and I'm having real problems with how loud it had gotten. Recently my friend gave me his old processor (P4 3.0 GHz with HT)
and its running on my new mother board (ASUS P5NSLI) and it has been running so loud that it keeps me up, I have to open my window to let in 10 degree air to slow the fan down. There was one fan already in the case that was sucking air out on the panel side and i recently purchased another one to put in the back near the cpu to blow air in and it made about Zero difference and its putting a good amount of air in. My heat sink is just a intel that came with the CPU. The fan speeds run as follows:
at 3000rpm when the CPU is 55 C. This is relatively quiet but still can easily tell that the computer is running but this is with the window open haha once i close the window the temp is still at 55C but it will run at 3200rmp-3400rmp which is enough to wake me up.

note: these temps are mostly unaffected by cpu usage, when i run transcode for my 360 (converts an avi file into wmv as fast possible to play through media center) If the window is open no sound and the cpu is under rather a heavy load, but in the same respect if the window is closed and I'm not even using my computer its like a highway in my room. The Computer itself isn't in a confined area either it is out in the open in a place where air circulates easily. So my though that was maybe i need to mess with the settings in BIOS since i have never really touched them in new computer

Any suggestions on what to do whether it is through the BIOS or just how I placed the fans in the case.

thankyou!

You may be able to change the thresholds for temperature in the bios on whether it kicks the fan into high speed or not.

I'd also suggest taking that fan you put in the back of the case and reverse it so it blows air out, thats traditionally how its done, and makes more sense with the air dynamics inside a case. Fans on the side panels or the front typically blow air into the case, so I'd suggest doing that as well.

You can pull the heatsink off the processor (with the comp shut down of course) and clean it off with 99% Isopropyl alcohol and reapply some thermal paste. Artic Silver seems to be the consensus for doing that, but you can also get away with the thermal paste Radio Shack sells if you must.

A final thing you could do is get an aftermarket heatsink and fan that will run quieter and cool better.

Well

First off it sounds like you are not cooling your case correctly.....

Always use this formula for case fans to get propor air flow....It is not always how much air that is being blown out of your case, but how much cool outside air is blown in to dilute the hot air....

Front Botton : Should always be blowing into the case

Back Panal: Should always be blowing out

Side Panal : Should Always be blowing into the case onto the componants.

Top Panal : Should Always be blowing out....

The Key to having good air flow is having a front to back stream of cool air. Meaning that the front fans suck air into the case blowing it over the componants and the back fan displacing the hot air out of the case.

Having the Side fans blowing directly into the case towards the motherboard blasts cool air to the video card, CPU and Memory and can significantly lower the temp.

Remember that hot air always rises..... I think if you would just reverse your side fans to blow into the case it should cut down your problem conciderably.

All you are doing now is sucking hot air out of the case without cool air going into the case it does not help with cooling. You said that you have the back fan blowing in, but all that is doing is maybe cooling the CPU a degree or two because the air being blown in by the fan is probably instantly getting sucked out by the side fan.

Just try the way that I said above and let me know what happens

Good Luck

LoL

I hate when somone posts when you are writing one at the same time and says the same thing LoL...Makes me feel like I waisted 10 minutes of my life hehe, Oh well :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back