CPU Fan Vibrating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hello. I was cleaning out my cpu fan about 20 mins ago, and one of the fins had cracked. It was bending too much, so I broke it off to prevent it from damaging anything. Well, now the CPU fan is vibrating, and I'm scared...Will the vibration kill the CPU? Where can I get a new stock CPU fan? I'm running a P4 1.8 gHZ Willamette with stock fan spinning at 3750 RPM.

you definately need a new fan, it should be cheap to get another fan, you could google it and find it easy.

Will the vibration kill the CPU?
As long as it's blowing air on the Heatsink, but I don't believe that CPU's like lots of vibration. I dopped one once, it still worked - but the system bacame noticably slower. So yes, vibration can effect it.

Also you can find Anything on the net !

Best if you get a combination... CPU Heatsink and Fan as one unit... then be sure you use new thermal paste. Changing the fan without the heatsink is a fruitless excercise that leads to trouble... and the cost is about the same.
You do not want ANY vibration in a fan... because that is an indicator of impending failure.

although breaking off the other side would effectively reduce the fan's capability by half..

ditch stock, get aftermarkets.. cooler, quiter and much better than intel's stocks..

Just buy a new fan, it's worth the investment and yes, lack of proper cooling can kill a CPU. Vibration can crack connections if severe enough.

Ummmm...if at all possible, I wanna avoid replacing the heatsink...I only want to replace the fan. Thanks for the links and info though...any other suggestions?

I'd assume the fan on your heatsink probably conforms to some industry standard size. Measure the dimensions of your fan and look for something with the same dimensions.

It's also possible that he needs a socket 423 heatsink considering the fact that its a Willamette, in which case those heatsinks wouldn't be compatible. Regardless, he's already expressed the fact that he doesn't want to replace his heatsink.

Measure the dimensions of your current fan, look for one that is similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back