CPU fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D@nny

CPU really over heating? My CPU temperature and bios reports to be 92 C /197.5 F in temperature. I'v only taken the heat sink once on my computer then placed it back on the chip and put the fan ontop of that and the fan runs like it should. The rest of my temps MB and Chassis temperatures are both at 46. Can this be why my computer keeps shutting itself off when I'm trying to install windows xp pro over my windows media center edition. Everytime after the same amount of time has passed by it just turns off but when I run the computer normally on my buggy MCE it doesn't shut off. Now I say buggy because my internet doesn't work even when its plugged in and and my isp has checked my box and told me its running fine. They told me to reinstall windows xp and I thought that would fix it up but I can't ever get into installing it fast enough before it shuts off somewhere between terms of agreement and choose which partioning drive ...etc. Could this be maybe a faulty sensor or is my cpu really running this hot? Also my relative had a sony vaio and his cpu fried wondering if mine did the same?

Whoa, if that sensor is correct, you really need to do something about it.

If you want, carefully touch the heatsink, and check if it's too hot. If it's cool, then you may need to reseat it again, and apply fresh thermal compound.

What CPU is it?

I'm not really sure its a sony model pcv-rz44g it runs at 2.8 GHz speed. I just tried a different approach with the windows xp cd and tried to repair my windows media center addition cd and the computer managed to stay a bit longer while it was doing something I wasn't too sure about. I had my desktop fan on maybe thats why and that lowered my cpu temp down to 87-88ish. Anyway it got to around 20 percent repair and shut off. So I can reinstall my windows xp pro os or repair my old one now really sad :( I'v never had random shut downs before with my burning cpu. My specs are 6800 gs agp I put in my pre built computer and another gig of ram and both of those ran fine with my computer for half a year. My internet is really screwed up I can ping my isp and type in a websites ping and it will direct me to it (example google) but even after i brought C back to its original factory state Netscape and IE wouldn't be able to open up any webpages. They told me to get a new operating system and I did but now it doesn't install. Unless my cpu was recently fried I don't see how how it could have been running this hot for so long without me seeing any system shut downs. I just got back from vacation so maybe it fried from a power outage over then?
Sony sucks and heres my pcs original specs http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PCV-RZ44.../B0000D8IRU/ref=de_a_smtd/102-3060387-7450516 it has a miniture psu that only runs at 300 watts. I'm not sure if its powerful or not but maybe if the powersupply wasn't emitting enough voltage it could cause my cpu to overheat, is this a possibility ?

okay can I do this? Take my hard drive and plug it into my other computesr motherboard which is like this one [ same sony brand] and then reformat it with the windows xp disk? Will that work?

Your CPU is overheating, and its shutting off to prevent permanent damage.

To really fix it, the only thing you can do is make sure your computer is cool.

When you took off your heatsink, did you give it a clean? If you didn't, this is a good time. Also, everytime you take off your heatsink, you're supposed to apply thermal grease on it. Any thermal grease would do, but here we highly recommend arctic silver 5, which is available on newegg here.

Also, read up on application instructions here.

By not doing this, you have introduced air between your heatsink and CPU, which causes heat transfer between them to be very inefficient, trapping the heat on your CPU, which is causing the overheating.

And it'll run for awhile, because it takes time to reach the critical temps.

Which is why it will keep doing that no matter what you do to your windows.

Thats insane! Those temps are way off the charts. You may have to purchase a new heatsink/fan combo or atleast some thermal paste.

If you're in the market for a new HSF combo, this one's pretty decent value for money.

But you'll still need thermal paste, which is included with the heatsink, and its instructions are included.

CMH said:
Your CPU is overheating, and its shutting off to prevent permanent damage.

To really fix it, the only thing you can do is make sure your computer is cool.

When you took off your heatsink, did you give it a clean? If you didn't, this is a good time. Also, everytime you take off your heatsink, you're supposed to apply thermal grease on it. Any thermal grease would do, but here we highly recommend arctic silver 5, which is available on newegg here.

Also, read up on application instructions here.

By not doing this, you have introduced air between your heatsink and CPU, which causes heat transfer between them to be very inefficient, trapping the heat on your CPU, which is causing the overheating.

And it'll run for awhile, because it takes time to reach the critical temps.

Which is why it will keep doing that no matter what you do to your windows.
Thanks

That cleared it up quite nicely. Yeah, i did manage to clean it out from the dust that caught between those metal bars and for some stupid reason i took it off for a second time today so more air got caught between my heat sink and cpu and i had no thermal paste to apply between them yet..
I'v been trying to remove my hard drive from this computer but its a sony made piece of **** and its almost impossible to remove since the screws are on the top and the bottom where no screw driver can fit without removing all the disk drives and junk above it. Since the computer shut down on me during the windows xp installation over media center edition the next time i went to boot it up it said NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart probably because of the faulty and unfinished installation of xp pro :( Now there’s not much I can do.

Dude,... Here's Some Advice....

Find someone nearby who knows even a little something about computers. In the meantime, shut the case and leave it turned OFF. Either you have no idea what you're doing, or you need to be put on Ritalin for a hyper activity attention deficit disorder.

Possibility "B" is that you can't communicate in English. Your posts are all over the map, you're doing 4 or 5 unrelated "repairs" to a machine that's on the verge of a Three Mile Island/Chernoble type meltdown. Why are you F#$%^%$ with the internet, the hard drive and trying to do a "custom" install of 2 different flavors of Windows at once, when you can't accomplish buying some thermal paste for the processor. I understood correctly, you took the heatsink off again and then replaced it with no thermal paste a second time, YO!

CMH said:
Fix the heat issue first, or that'll pop up everytime you try to install WinXP.
So is the hot air that’s getting trapped between my heatsink and cpu being caused from the air bubbles in the thermal paste? I'v decided not to turn on my computer until I remove the thermal paste that’s on it and put on a new layer I'm getting tomorrow that should fix the over heating. Now I managed to take out my hard drive but I'm un sure on how to install windows xp pro on to it now. It used to be windows media center edition and now its basically nothing since it doesn't even turn on correctly. Any advice on how to use the windows xp disk to recover it?

Dude, why are you still so concerned with reinstalling/repairing XP when you have not done yet what a half dozen people have told you would fix your problem?

because I want to be certain the hard drive isn't totally destroyed and its still functional. I'll get the thermal paste tomorrow and apply it onto my cpu but I don't think it will stop the shut downs. My computer would only shut down when trying to repair / reinstall windows xp but when i booted from the hard drive and not the disc the computer wouldn't shut down.

You really need to fix the overheat problem before you worry about the hdd. My feeling is (along with eveyone else) that you are getting the shutdowns because the cpu is overheating. If the hdd was bad, it would not shut down the computer, it would just stop responding.

If you try and put the hdd in another computer and install windows then move it back to your Sony, there is no guarantee that the windows installation would work. All of the hardware in your Sony would be different from the other computer and Windows is really picky about that.

Ahem.........

Good people,
Nickslick, Wolfram, Halo71, CMH, Beef_Jerky, Blue_Dragon....

Why are you all still laboring under the assumption that you can reason with this person, YOU CAN'T.

Anyone can walk around and ask questions that they don't want the answer to ,or they automatically assume their priorities are more important than what actually needs doing, or that they know more than the person to which they asked the question. At some point this old adage kicks in; "never give advice. wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it"!

I still like my ADHD observation.

D@nny, after u get the thermal paste applied and see that this computer can run cool, u can reformat the hard drive with the Windows XP CD and start over with a new Windows install. If the thermal paste was the problem this should fix the problem although I am not making any guarentees.

That is the problem that is most easily fixed, and is a permanent fix.

Repeating what you said over and over does not help. Unless you've fixed your restarting problem, your installing XP problem will not be bothered with.

And unless you've got suggestions on how to fix that restarting problem, you shouldn't worry us about other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back