CPU Heating problem, plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNoname

I have a real big heating problem. My cpu goes up to 80 degres C. in the BIOS and also in my Asus probe software. here's my config. Almost everything is new.

NEW--- MOBO-RAM-CPU-GRAPHIC CARD.

Asus P5B deluxe WIFI. socket 775
Intel P4, 3.2ghz, 2mo cache. => ORIGINAL HEATSINK
2gig of RAM - CORSAIR 533
Leadtek 7600GT 256MO
HD1 - Raptor 36g, 10000k SATA
HD2 - Maxtor 250g, IDE
DVDR multi layer LG
AND maybe my problem - PSU - Antec 380W - 20/24pin

***NO OVERCLOCKING HAS BEEN DONE***
My Mobo is at 30 Degres C, witch is good I think.
But like I said my CPU in the BIOS goes up to 80C in about 30 seconds.

Can someone give my is idea on this. And also, can a low PSU power (like 380W) can cause heating problem on my CPU ?? Or what can cause that king of heat (I know it's the original Heatsink, but it should be at least ok for reg. utilisation) ?

I'm pretty sure I should have at least a PSU of 400W or more. Before I go buy a GOOD PSU, I want your opinion on this.

Thank you very much in advance.

I don't think it is your psu. Make sure that the HSF is hooked up correctly and the fan is running. Also make sure that the HSF is actually seated and making contact with the cpu. If that look good, try taking the hsf off, clean the thermal compound off (if this is stock then it's probably a thermal pad = crud) and put on some Artic 5 Silver.

Antec psu's are generally pretty good, though you may be a bit under powered with only 380 watts. How many amps is it putting out on the 12 volt line(s)?

Thanks for the reply.
The heat sink seems to be hooked up pretty well. The fan is also running ok. (It's running between 1500rpm and 2800rpm)

The thing is, I was able to install WinXP on my machine without having any problem. After that I've install all my drivers and Need For Speed to test my computer. I've played for about an hour and then the problem start. Lag in the game, and also lag moving the mouse. This is when I've start wondering about CPU temp. And I saw 65Degres, stop the computer went in the BIOS and it was now at 75.....

But as you said, it's stock thermal, and when I checked the paste was HARD AS ROCK !!! that might be the problem. But I don't understand why stock stuff doesn't work properly, anyway, i'll try Artic 5 thermal pound see if it's just my problem.

Thanks for tips...take care

stock works.. aftermarkets work better :D (don't you find that fan buzzing too loud?)

Another thing to consider: have good airflow (bottom to top, front to back, sides in) and tie up any loose cables to the case edges where possible or velcro it..

75 is way too hot for a P4.. even a prescott (worse for a northwood) you should be idling about 30-35 and maxing about 40-48 on stock stuff.. get rid of that crummy pad, its already wasted.

Airflow = I already have 2 in (front) and 2 out (back) fans.
+ I have a van on the side.

All of them are 80mm fans, VANTEC
And the air inside is quite cold, ALL THE CHIPSET ON THE MOBO ARE COLD, HDD are also cold. The MOBO stay between 26C to 32C so I don't think it's airflow problem.

My PSU have also 1 out (back) and another one in (bottom)

Yeah the fan is quite loud.

I guess the compund is dead....i'll change it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back