CPU Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's the deal, I recently bought a new Conroe CPU along with arctic silver 5 thermal paste and an aftermarket heatsink/fan. I looked up multiple guides on installing CPU to be absolutely sure that I did everything correctly, and was wearing a grounding wristband.

After carefully replacing the CPU w/o touching any pins, applying a thin coat of Thermal paste on top of it, and connecting the Heatsink/Fan assembly; I powered up my PC and waited for the beep.

Except, there was no beep, and nothing came up on the screen, even though all my fans were running properly(even the cpu fan thank god).

So I then hold down the power button to manually shutdown, and after turning off for about 2 seconds, it came back on! I again attempted to manually shut down using the power button and nothing happened, so I flipped the switch on the back of the case(I know you aren't supposed to do that but I was worried that something was obviously wrong and my hardware would get damaged by leaving it running).

So now I'm trying to rule out the possibilities of what went wrong where and any help/suggestions that anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

What about the ram? that can definately stop your pc from booting. Also, how many watts is your psu. c2duo doesnt take much power but depends on what you have.

It's definately not the RAM, I just put in my old P4 3.2Ghz cpu and it booted up fine, but I'm not sure on the power supply. How would I go about checking that? I remember when I bought my PC parts to build it myself a few years ago that the powersupply was fairly expensive as I wanted to make sure that it would have enough power to run my high end system.

On that same note, does a C2Duo take much more power than a P4?

Edit: Just looked up my powersupply from the manufacturer, it's 500W so I doubt that's causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back