CPU issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlar22

Hey everybody,
It seems that my computer keeps shutting itself down whenever i play Guild Wars for too long. I find that whenever i play for a long time (varying from 45 minutes to 2 hours) it just shuts itself down. Then I check the CPU temp wif BIOS and I find that it's a whopping 60+ degrees. If I get 2 case fans, will that solve my problem? My computer is a AMD Athlon 64 3200+, ASUS mobo (forgot which one lol), 6800 GT, and 1 GB of ram.
My friend has the same specs as me but he has 2 more fans. So I'm assuming getting these 2 new case fans will solve the problem right?

P.S. i haf a Antec SLK 3000B case

Simply adding case fans may or may not help, you need to find the root cause of the problem.

Are you using the stock heatsink/fan with the processor?
What's the case temp?
Have you cleaned out all the dust?
Have you used any other programs to verify the temps?

how could i check the case temp?
Yes i am using the stock heatsink and fan along with the processor with artic silver 3.
To be honest i have not been cleaning the dust from it.
I do not know any programs that could verify the temperature. If possible, could you tell me where to get it and how to use it?

NOTE The comp ONLY shuts down when i am playing guild wars and ONLY guild wars

two ways of checking temps is to download an app liek speedfan or everest home and check the sensors for your readings..
the second way is to boot up into bios and go to the hardware monitors.

i also agree that you should clean out your case with a compresed air/vaccum device because it will at most times give you that extra 5-10`C or more cooler.. as well as put in some cable ties to clean up your cableing if need be.

doesnt matter what game or application, if it overheats it turns off. 70`C is where most CPUs have a safety off thing.

Well IMO, 60C is at the high end of safe, so I'm not really convinced the CPU is shutting down (unless the reading is wrong). So definately dwnload either of the 2 progs N3051M mentions or motherboard monitor (30dy free trial) to confirm the temp.

Can you describe the conditionin more detail? Is it rebooting/BSOD or just powers off? I guess I'm suggesting a complete power off is more likely the PSU overheating/hitting current limit and shutting down. Gave you post your PSU specs, watts and amps on each of the 3 main rails (3.3, 5 and 12Volts)?

3D game sare one of the heaviest apps we can run and they stress all components including the PSU.

Cheers.

well my PSU is Antec Smartpower 2.0 500 watts ATX12V v2.0
whenever i play gw for a long time, it just shuts itself down
basically it doesnt reboot or anything
it just shuts itself down
my frend also has the same specs as my computer EXCEPT the case, and the fact that he has 2 extra case fans.

where can i get speedfan or everest home?

games like that should suck up alot of cpu/gpu/ram time for optimal performance, hence the high recomended pc specs on the box... and things working near 100% capacity will generate energy, and in this case electrical to heat energy..

Everest Home: lavalys.com
speedfan in the downloads sections of this website or google.

like above, the two fans extra can/wont make a difference depending on a lot of variables.. one of which is a poorly applied or dried up thermal paste/pad on the cpu to its heatsink.. and dust....

first where should i clean my dust? from the fans? from the CPU heatsink?
secondly the first time i applied the thermal paste, i applied it very well along with the help of a professional

i am not home rite now, im using my frends computer
im gonna test to see whether my comp will still be having this problem

Crossing my fingers hoping it wont shut down during guild wars -_-

get the dust off the fans AND heatsink.

For the fans, i usually disconnect them. run them through some water, and let them dry for a while. same for the heatsink without the chip.

be careful getting the heatsink off the chip tho.. use a toolbox razorblade, but don't bend any pins (if you do you'll have a painstakingly tough job of straightening them).

Use a swiffer dry duster around the mobo-and video cards. anti-dust and anti-static.

I opened one of my spare 5.25" slots on the front of my case and ducktaped another fan in it. cools the memory directly. You could do the same to the back of the case as well (directing air outward)

Situate any PCI cards in slots furthest from your video card.

after everything is reinstalled, make sure your wires are well away from any memory sticks, harddrives or airpaths. Buy some Round IDE cables if its a real problem.

Don't keep your comp inside a cabinet or in the room corner, it builds dust and heat fast in those areas.

mind you, if you are taking the water option like benken does, do make sure its 100% dry hehe ':D...

otherwise a compressed air can or vaccume cleaner will do the job.. even take it out to the petrol station where you pump up your tyres if you realy want air pressure...

+5V +12V1 +12V2 +3.3V

35A ........17A.............19A..............32A

Ok that's a good supply so I don't suspect probs there. I think guys here have you covered, so I'm off and you're in good hands.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back