CPU Life span concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

Alright so when I was Stress priming, I fell asleep and let it run over night. When I wake up the Core Temp program says both my cores were at 90c and I have no clue how long they were running like that but the computer was still on, I restarted the comp and the Bios said 205c...which of course is inaccurate but anyway... Now I know heat can shorten the lifespan or damage the processor. I just want to know what you guys think the consequences are short and long term and/or whether I caused damage or not.

The computer is fine now because of changes I made (there wasn't enough thermal paste on it)

BTW I have a Toledo core 3800+ X2 939 socket

Well if the BIOS says 205C then I'd say that your sensor is probably malfunctioning. Did it ever display what seemed like a reasonable temp? The Stressing could of potentially damaged it. Maybe try testing temps again when idle and then playing games etc, and then try the stessing and see if the temps look ok, otherwise probably a dud sensor.

If things are running fine now, I doubt any serious damage was done. It is pretty rare to hear about a CPU dying because most people move on before they wear out. You probably shortened the life of your CPU a bit. You only had it that hot for a few hours, as opposed to people running 10-20C above where they should the entire time they have the system. Probably took your CPU life down from 10 years, to 9 years and 9 months :D

It takes very little thermal paste to properly cool a CPU. You must have applied cheap brand of paste or applied too much thermal paste...

CPU's die very quickly due to excessive heat. As long as it is still running normally, don't worry about it

I have ran a Opteron 146 2.0 Ghz processor OC'd for 2.5 years at 2.8 Ghz with temps ranging from 35C at idle to 70C while gaming with space shooters and that's with ambient temps always between 28C and 32C.

I have ran prime95 for up to 36 hours without any issues regarding the processors MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure), hitting as high as 80C during the torture test without ANY ISSUES WHAT SO EVER (Do not try this at home noobs). In my third year I have now upgraded the processor to the 4200+ AMD X2 Manchester Core (was supposed to be a Toledo Core) I have overclocked to 2.8 Ghz on air, just like my Opteron 146 without any voltage adjustment or anything else, and although temps at vcore 1&2 are now at 35C-40C between idle and 25% Utilization which is a bit warm to me but absolutely SAFE. I ran prime95 for 24 hours and I saw temps actually hit and hold at 75C for 8 hours continously and never a hiccup.

That temp you posted is HOT but the silicon was NEVER in any danger of melting so, since your system is posting fine, shutting down and restarting fine, apps seem to be working? I would maybe benchmark it with pcmark2007 and see how it handles that test but I would say you had an EXCEPTIONAL burn-in session. Just watch it in the future for unexpected temperature spikes! Other than that ENJOY and have fun.

SYS SPECS:
Asus A8N-Sli Premium,
2 GB pc3200 Ram, 2x512 Crucial, 2x512 Kingston HypeX OC'd to 450Mhz at 2.75V.
Antec 550W TP Pwr Supply
AMD 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 Ghz, OC'd to 2.8 Ghz on Air
Rocket 3-D Cpu Cooler
2x Maxtor 250G Hdd's in Raid 0
XFX6800XT 256mb PCI-E Video Card
Vista Ultimate 32 O/S
Thermaltake Xaser III VA3000 5 yr old case with 5 case fans,
2x92mm on side insert and 1 front intake 80mm and 1 back exhaust hi-speed 80 mm fan
with a 92 exhaust fan at top of case as well.
I run with my Windowed side always off and a
small squirrel cage fan blowing ambient temp air into case.
I run a light mesh filter on open side of case for filtration of particles in air.

Respectfully,
Bob Ketcham
randy_rogers38@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back