Cpu/mobo Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi im new to the forums and i really need some help sooo yeah! I recently encountered a problem with my computer. I couldn't start it up when i got home one day. There were no beeps and the hard drive wasn't posting. i switched out my hard drive and tried another, still no response from the computer. I use the ASUS p8p500 motherboard and an intel p4 3.4 ghz processor. I asked around for help and people told me i should try exchanging the power supply, i tried but the problem remained. There are two things on my mother board that get powered by the Power supply but im not sure about one of them. Theres that big one thats a necessity that HAS to power the motherboard and a small one (the white plastic plugs that has the weird shapes). Im not sure if i need the small one. Well anyways, when the small one is plugged in stuff shows up on my screen when it isn't nothing shows up on my screen, the smaler plug powers my processor. Without the small plug inserted my computer can run on without dying. When it is plugged in my computer dies within 6 seconds of booting up, doesn't even get to the windows startup. I was told one of the two components were drawing too much power and might need to be replaced. But before doing any replacing i wanted some other advice on how i should deal with it. Is there a better way to define the problem?

There are 3 things you need for your motherboard to post: a working cpu, ram, and a power supply. Try this: take every single thing out of your motherboard except those three things. report your findings back here.

I did that and the mobo finally posted but it only posts when i plug in the second plug which powers the processor in the motherboard. but without it my motherboard doesn't post.

But the problem is, its postingbut its drawing too much power from th power spply and the computer automatically turns off in approx. 6 seconds on bootup

How many watts does your power supply provide? And how many Amps are on the 12V rail(s)? If you don't know how to find this information, take a picture of the sticker on your power supply and post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back