CPU Overheating (Pretty sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAndrewE

I use SpeedFan to check my temps for my various things. I don't know specifically what temps are what, but I'm pretty sure "Remote" is my CPU since it heats up really fast when my CPU usage is 100%. At idle, the CPU temp is around 45 and it rapidly goes up to about 78 when I play Civilization IV, then my computer freezes.

My question is, how can I check that the reading is for my CPU, and if it is what should I do to keep it cooler?

My processor is AMD Athlon 3200+, if you guys need any other info just ask.

Get a second opinion by looking in your bios and seeing what temps are being reported there. That temp could also be your GPU, in which case those temps are fine.

Regardless, I'd open up the case and blow out all the built up dust. Always a good thing to do.

You should remove the heatsink and place new termal grease, like Artic Silver or something like that. See if that helps.
Or you can try to click the refresh button on your browser to cool it down :haha: :D :unch:

Let us know what happens.

Regards!

TheAndrewE said:
My processor is AMD Athlon 3200+, if you guys need any other info just ask.
AMD Athlon _?_ 3200+, is it an Athlon64 or an AthlonXP?

TheAndrewE said:
Checked the bios right after a crash and my CPU temp was 51 with the fan going at 2600RPM.
If it's an Athlon64, then 51c is very hot and close to overheating. (max temp 65c)

If it's an AthlonXP, then 51c is normal and safe. (max temp 95c)

Yeah, it is an Athlon64. The temp peaked at 55 when I was editing some video files. I'll have to apply Artic Silver, like lalo said, very soon.

I was also reading the Civ4 forums and many people have the same problem as I do when using an AMD + Geforce 6800. They've been saying that upgrading their power supply solved most of their problems. Mine is a 420w but I'm planning on upgrading it soon, too.

Are you using the stock HSF that came with the CPU? I used regular thermal paste (not Artic silver) but upgraded to the Zalman 7100 CU and my temps are 32C at idle and go to 45-50C undering 3D gaming load. I have a AMD64 3500 and a 6600GT with a OZC 480W Modstream. My Zalman runs at 3100 RPM underload so maybe you are straining that 430W PSU. What amps are on the 12V rails?
Do you have any case fans? You might consider upgrading to an after market HSF too.

cheers.

Edit: I forgot to mention this: You can dwnload a member profile based on your motherboard from the Speedfan site. This might help identify which temp is which for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back