CPU overheating problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having problems with my computer. If I use programs that use a lot of memory such as photoshop, or if I play video games, my computer starts beeping at me. It's alternating hi-lo beebs and I looked it up and it's the cpu overheating. I have a guage on the front of my case, and it usually stays steady around 30 celsius, but if it's really cold in my room it drops to 24 celsius or so. At that point it'll run anything fine. Also, if I close out programs, it will stop beeping. The main thing is, it never did this when I lived in Florida, but after driving home to Iowa, with my case in my back seat, it started doing it. All my fans are running, including the CPU fan, I'm just wondering what could be causing it to overheat.

hmmm graphics? what kind of video card do you have? enough memory to support high programs? what kind of cpu / mobo do you have? something probably fell or was bouncing around too much...

I've got a GeForce 5700LE, 512MB ram, Pentium 4 3 GHz and a Abit IC7-G mobo. I've already opened it up and checked and everything seems to be connected in there fine. I also downloaded motherboard monitor after posting the first time, and checked my processor temp, and it's running at 150 fahrenheit. I think it might be something wrong with the heatsink, but I don't know for sure.

150 F is too high. A stock Intel heatsink should run around 120 +/- a few.
Try removing the heatsink and after cleaning the old paste off the CPU and heatsink . Apply a nice even layer of Artic Silver, etc. and see if that makes a difference.
You may need to add a case fan if your Temps don't improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back