CPU Overheatting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Building a system and the CPU is overheating. I can get to CMOS and watch the CPU temp go to 110 then the computer shuts off. The case is open because I am still working on it, and the CPU fan is running @ 3119 RPM. Any ideas to help?

Thanks!

What make/model is the CPU? Assuming that temp is in celcius, yes you are overheating.

Did you apply thermal paste (or use the pad)? I'd start by re-seating it with some new paste.

110C is a blistering hot temperature for any CPU. I think dust is the main culprit. Try removing the heatsink and cleaning it out, or have someone do it for u if u don't know how to, since if u do it wrong, u can screw up ur CPU.

What CPU is i? At those temps, if it where an Athlon 64, It would have shut off at 80-90 C. Sounds like a P4.

Maybe you just got a bad CPU. Overvotage anyone?

reset BIOS.

if youre running intel processor, the speed should be >5000rpm like me and chance of OH is less. 3000rpm is slow...

It depends on the type of core too. Old Williamette core CPUs have their heatsink fans running at around 3300 RPM. Newer Prescott ones (which have a tendency to run very hot BTW) have fans running at around 5100 RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back