CPU Price War!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirob

Offical AMD Price List

HKECP reports that on the day after the release of Conroe (Intel's Core 2 Duo for desktops) AMD will cut the dual core X2's prices 35% to 50%, Athlon 64's 20%-30% and Semprons 10%-15% to match Intel's prices:

Intel Prices on July 23
Core 2 Duo
  • X6800 2.93GHz 4mb $999
    E6700 2.67GHz 4mb $530
    E6600 2.40GHz 4mb $316
    E6400 2.13GHz 2mb $224
    E6300 1.86GHz 2mb $183
Pentium D
  • 960 $316
    950 $224
    945 $163
    940 $183
    820 $113
    805 $93
Pentium 4
  • 661 $183
    651, 641, and 631 $163
    541 $84
    531 $74
    524 $69
AMD has lowered Athlon 64 prices right now:
  • Athlon 64 3000 $89
    Athlon 64 3200 $99
    Athlon 64 3500 $109
    Athlon 64 3800 $139

AMD prices on July 24

Athlon X2
  • 5000+ $403
    4600+ $301
    3800+ $169
Sempron
  • 3600+ $109
    3500+ $97
    3400+ $87
    3200+ $77
    3000+ $67
    2800+ $53
Some etailers already show these low prices on Athlon single cores, plus a small markup. All these reductions will not be enough to gain price/performance lead back for AMD from Conroe and it will not be good for it's profits, but we enthusiast have to love this price war.

As it was Intel practically gave CPUs to Dell, and other like us and HP payed the difference. WE FINANCED DELL! Now Intel is going to a flat pricing list, we will all pay about the same. HP can now match Dell, and now Dell will sell AMD.

So don't go thinking Intel is loosing money with it's very low prices. It's just everybody getting the same price and Intel getting the same profit. AMD is paying the price. They may get some Dell sales, but at the cost of lowering prices to EVERYONE!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32452
The Inquirer said:
...to maximize profits without impacting production to a great degree, AMD has felt it necessary to get rid of the lower margin desktop 1MB L2 cores. This change affects both Rev. E and Rev. F production, as all 1MB L2 cores will be allocated to the Opteron lines.

1M and 1Mx2 core are gone. Sandy and Toledo are dead, the first casualties of this war. :(

939 3000+ and 3200+ reach EOL
AMD said:
Per customers' request to simplify the roadmap for these products, the Athlon 3000+ and 3200+ processors are going End of Life.
Low end 939 Athlon single cores are added to the casualties list. :(

AMD to launch pricing campaign to counter Intel

DigiTimes said:
After actively talking to motherboard makers in search of ways to counter Intel's price cuts, AMD has come up with a new pricing solution, despite tight production capacity and possible erosion of its profits, the sources said.
Intel Tells Customers It Will Cut Prices by 60% to Gain Share

Bloomberg said:
Advanced Micro [devices] also told Gigabyte that it plans to cut prices, though not by as much as Intel...

...Intel's sales chief declined to comment...

"The idea of price competition or competition in general is new to the other guy,'' Advanced Micro's [devices] Meyer said of Intel. "Price competition doesn't scare us.''

Intel pricing has really hit AMD hard. As of now they are using 90nm on 200mm wafers at all but one FAB that is using 90nm on 300mm wafers. Add in the IMC and die size is limiting yields to a point they can not be price competitive. For now Intel is squeezing AMD with super low prices from it's high yield 65nm on 300mm wafer process with out the IMC taking up space. I'd expect to see Intel go with some sort of IMC with 45nm, as the die size will allow it profitably and Moorse's law may require it.

Now people are loosing their jobs. Around 1000 Intel managers will be giving severance packages. AMD caned all people that worked on Geode at their Colorado center. This war is getting personal--2000 people looking for new jobs. :(

AMD's Prices,
\http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3361

that's great news indeed for us enthusiasts :)..but it's a pity i just bought a new a64 3500+ with 217$ :|...2 months ago..
well when conroe comes out i'll just have to sell it and buy an intel weeee can't wait. :p

The intel product lineup confuses me. I mean who in their right mind would buy a 950, 960, or 661 when for the same price(or less) you can get a conroe e6300?

I think intel should completely ditch their entire lineup of desktop processors once conroe is released, or maybe start selling off the 6xx and 9xx series as "celerons," since their performance is limited compared to conroe.

Have to agree though, price wars do make for nice prices for enthusiasts.

vnf4ultra said:
The intel product lineup confuses me. I mean who in their right mind would buy a 950, 960, or 661 when for the same price(or less) you can get a conroe e6300?
Those who don't want to buy a new mainboard.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Those who don't want to buy a new mainboard.
I guess I assumed that most people would be building new or getting a new motherboard anyway, so that's a good point.

Almost forgot how intel likes to force it's users into upgrades. I mean, when they first come out with 775 it works with pentium 4 cpus, then along comes pentium d, which uses the same socket, but won't work on the current existing boards. Now along comes conroe, and it's the same socket, but incompatible with most existing boards. So they basically have 3 "revisions" of 775 boards, those for pentium 4's, those for pentium d's, and those for conroe.
At least on amd 939 boards, when dual cores came out, it only required a bios update, not a complete system overhaul. Although amd is doing the same with am2, which supposedly is a "temporary socket." At least according to some rumor...

Current AM2 mobos should work with K8L when it comes out next spring. It will work with revision G cores out in December (but just to OEMs.) Revision G should be faster per clock that current revision F cores. So a AM2 mobo is good for a couple years, and it looks like the Conroe mobos will be too. In 2008 Intel is making a new socket. Intel has only been able to keep backwards compatibilty so far. Some how ASRock has two 865 chipset Conroe mobos.

Only the 2x512mb cache ones get slashed, so a 5000+ is like $400, and a FX-62 will be over $1000. That's just crazy. :unch:

The higher cache chips are going away to be re-badged as Opterons and sold for more money. The die size is too big to be profitable at these prices. With AM2, the die size is 20-30% bigger anyway so yields are lower, yet the prices are the same.

The 939 3000+ and 3200+ cut from the line up, just more casualties in this war. There is not enough profit in these chips and most easily clock well past a 3800+ anyway--they may as well sell them as such and char appropriately.

This is quoted from: www.xbitlabs.com

Unfortunately, the transition to Socket AM2 form-factor is unlikely to make dual-core AMD processors more popular. Even though the transition helps enlarge the product range in the dual-core segment, it will not lead to any price drop there. All Athlon 64 X2 CPUs will continue shipping for over $300 a piece, which will hardly help them win more market. Especially, since Intel has thrown quite a bit of inexpensive dual-core processors into the market getting ready for the new Core micro-architecture based solutions. For example, the youngest dual-core processor from Intel has already dropped below the $150 bar. So, from this prospective looks like Intel is the primary force for further dual-core processors promotion.

The site also contains a good table for prices on X2 series processors.

table2.gif

This is more speculation is what it seems to me, from what I have read alot...
I can afford the more expensive proc's but I am not aginst the cheaper ones put money in other areas.

That article is dated 05/22/2006. HKEPC's is 6/11/2006. :monkey:
I have read nothing that suggests the price cuts are not going to happen. I don't know what AMD is going to do, heck, I don't think AMD knows what AMD is going to do. First we hear all 2x1mb X2's are going away then that the 4800+ and 3500+ will soon be the only socket 939 chips. Now HKEPC reports a new X2 5200 with 2x2Mb cache. Perhaps info is just getting twisted by AMD's partners that are talking to the press. On thing is sure, AMD is going in the red.

the reason you keep hearing so many different stories about what they are going to do is becuase all of these stories are not from AMD. the only reliable source is AMD itself.

most articles floating around on the internet will say that they have an "important person" or "reliable source", but they constantly contradict each other. the basic rule of thumb is this: if you didn't hear it straight from AMD in the form of an official press release, then take the information with a grain of salt.

and BTW Mirob, AMD is not "going in the red". you state some valid points, but your hatred of AMD is obvious and your statement about them is purely your opinion and is not factual. the FACT is that AMD has been around for almost as long as Intel has (although they did not enter the CPU market until years later). you seem to have this idea that conroe cannot be improved, and that AMD cannot ever come out with a better product ever again. that is not reality.

it would appear that AMD may face a setback after the release of conroes/kentfields/etc. those will be great CPUs but they have weaknesses, and AMD's next gen will take advantage of that. it will be a constant performance battle between the two rivals and will be a win-win for everybody.

KC said:
your hatred of AMD is obvious

AMD is going to run a deficit and that is nothing new to them. I don't hate them, it's just the facts as I see them. I own two A64s, and have no bones about buying AMD products. I may even get a X2 for cheap soon. :D

This information is coming from Taiwanese motherboard manufactures. They probably are under NDA, so they are liars anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back