CPU Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an Athlon(tm) XP 3600+. However, it's currently set at 2500+ which is the equivalent to about 1.83GHz -- the reason I set it to this speed is because everytime I restore it to it's correct paid-for speed and the default speed (3600) it randomly shuts off, no warning or anything. Just like that.

I know I need to change my FSB setting, but everytime I go in to BIOS, I can't seem to find the option ANYWHERE. I'm not sure whether it's called something else. I don't know whether it is necessary for me to tell you the name of my board, but unfortunatly I am not sure what the board is called. Would the FSB setting have a different name perhaps?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, and thanks in advance

Are you sure it's a 3600+? I've never heard of that model. I thought the a xp stopped at 3200+.

What ghz is the core supposed to be for a 3600+? 2.4-2.6ghz?

Maybe someone exaggerated the speed. Where did you get it?

Do you know your motherboard model?

Oh, sorry about that. Yes, it is a 3200+, my fault. I'm not sure what my board model is, but I'm looking in to it. Sorry about that

There is a CPU frequency setting, but that appears to be greyed out and I cannot change it.

Howdy!

Welcome to TechSpot
My 2700+ athalon runs 2.176 mhz
I believe the only one that runs higher
is 3200+, Amd lists it at 2.2 mhz
Check Here
G'Luck

Internal frequency is the clockspeed of the processor, not the FSB.

Is your RAM PC3200 / DDR400?

What motherboard are you using?

Where did you buy the processor at?

You may want to clear cmos.
Then see what it reports the cpu as.
what I think your seeing on the boot screen
is what your bios thinks the cpu is as 2500+ or
2700+ or 3200+ as per Amd's naming.
These are not the actual mhz speed.
What MoBo do you have?
If you could list as much as you know, it will help us help you.
post back...

Does this image help at all:

board.jpg

Yes

your board fsb
Supports AMD-K7 Duron/Athlon/Athlon XP/Barton Socket A 200/266/333/400 MHz FSB

page 3-2
shows a soft menu III

CPU Name Is:
"This item displays the CPU model name, for example: AMD Athlon(tm) XP."

This selection in your bios should be where you set it to 3200+,
directly above it should show speed as mhz and greyed out.

Soul Harvester any take on this?
PDF Manual

SOcRatEs:

I went in to soft menu III, and changed it to 3200+
Directly above it reads the following:

CPU Internal Frequency: 1833MHz (166x11.0)

Greyed out.

I'm getting confused

Unless I'm really wrong (I could be) :confused:
I think you need to select User Define
and set the external clock to 200mhz not 166mhz.
I don't know why it works this way but here it is:
200mhz x 2= 400mhz x11 somehow= 2.200 mhz.
I would hold out for anyone else on forum that can
better help with this

CPU Operating Speed:
This item displays the CPU operating speed according to the type and speed of your CPU. You can also select the [User Define] option to enter the manual option.
User Define:
Setting the working frequency higher than the PCI chipset or processor specs, may cause abnormal memory module functioning, system hangs, hard disk drive data lose, abnormal functioning of the VGA card, or abnormal functioning with other add-on cards.
 External Clock:
This item sets the CPU Front Side Bus speed from 100 to 300. Due to the specification limit of the CPU you installed, the speed you set over its standard bus speed is supported, but not guaranteed.
NF7 Series

I changed the external clock to 200MHz as you instructed. I will keep you posted on how it goes (hasn't restarted yet) and hold out for further advice in this post. Thanks

very Kewl

What did the CPU Internal Frequency:show?

G'Luck

Hrm, I don't think that changed :S

Edit:

It just rebooted on its own even though I changed fps to 200mhz. Perhaps I have to change other settings with it? Such as the multiplier factor. I guess I'll have to change the speed back and hold out on more advice :(

If that really is a 3200+, and your RAM is PC3200, and you are still getting reboots... you most likely have a hardware problem.

Is your ram in sync with the CPU? Try having your memory clock be set to 166mhz (DDR333) and have just the CPU at 200mhz. If it is stable then, it is ram.

If it isn't, most likely your CPU or motherboard are faulty, though there is a chance it could be bad ram. I suggest memtest86'ing after this point. Keep us updated and we'll keep helping.

Detected

If the bios is detecting and defaulting to
Then there is strong chance this is 2500+..
I wouldn't think you'd have to go into [user defined]
to set iot manually, kinda killz the idea of soft menu III.
Where did this CPU come from?
the 3200+ uses 11x multiplier.

My RAM is DDR-SDRAM 512 MBytes
Frequency 166.4MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras) 7 clocks

Ok, so your ram is ddr333, or pc2700, at least currently, I guess it could be pc3200 underclocked.

cpu speed is 200mhz(fsb) x 11 = 2.2ghz.

Did you try what soul harvester said about putting the memory to 166 and the cpu to 200?

Yeah, we already figured that out hehe. It's just when I change it to 3200+ and set the fsb to 200mhz, it still randomly reboots. In need of desperate help :(:(

when i had my athlon 2500+ barton oc'd to a 3200+, i think it gave me the same stats posted above. (if i remember them correctly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back