Cpu problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!!! I'm fairly new to all of this. My ex husband was a wiz at computers so I'm learning this stuff myself. A couple months ago my computer started re-setting itself during use and would not comeback on for a period of time so I figured maybe a fan had went out and that it was overheating, so I took a look and it appears the fan on the cpu was not working. I removed the cpu, re-installed and changed the fan but now nothing boots up. Before buying a new cpu or taking one out of one of the other computers should I try to re-install the cpu with a new coat of thermal paste? Do you think maybe the cpu is fried? Any help or suggestions are welcome....

You should take out cpu and throw at your ex-husband :p

Anyway, remove and reseat the CPU. Make sure the CPU is sitting flat on the socket and the socket is locked down fully. Clean the cpu using the 90% isopropyl alcohol and put in fresh coat of thermal paste.

Make sure the heatsink is clean also. do the same with 90% isopropyl alcohol
The fans of the heatsink should be blown clean or brushes off. Make sure the CPU fan are plugged to CPU_FAN on motherboard or directly off the power supply.

Try reseat the video card and PSU plugs.

Thanks!

LOL...no throwing of the CPU, I don't want to damage it!!!

I'll give it a try and let you know if it works. I really appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back