CPU Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sending my motherboard in for repairs and was in the process of removing the CPU/Heatsink. I had undone the mounting bracket and pulled the heatsink to detach it from the CPU and both the CPU and Heatsink came off together. I have an AM2 Mobo and it made me real nervous because I didn't undo the locking mechanism that holds the CPU in place..

I checked for bent pins and didn't see any.. but I'm still just a little nervous cause I know that locking mechanism is there for a reason. Should I be worried that I basically manhandles the thing off?

Also, the CPU is pretty much glued to the heatsink with all the thermal paste. There is a bunch of paste too... it's got a pretty thick coat on it. Should I worry about this? (all the white stuff in the pictures is the thermal paste)

cpu1.jpg

cpu2.jpg

Also, what is the best way to store the cpu until I get my replacement motherboard?

Thank you!

This happens all the time and I have yet to damage a CPU this way - the whole lot usually comes off straight up and does not damage pins. If you have bent any pins, use a credit card between the rows to line them up again.
You do need to get the CPU off the heatsink - I usually get someone to hold the heatsink and then use two wide bladed screwdrivers on opposite sides of the CPU to ease it off.
The clean all the muck off and replace it with fresh heat transfer paste. More paste does not mean better heat transfer so just use a smear.

the CPU should come off just by twisting it back and forth until it's loose. then slide it off to the side. don't pry it off unless absolutley necessary (too much force from pulling up one side could damage the CPU heatspreader and heatsink surface)

:wave:

Thanks! When reapplying the thermal paste should I coat the top of the CPU or should I leave a clean area around the sides? I'm not 100% sure about how much paste to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back