Cpu running at half speed help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i have an asus p4vp-mx thats suppose to have a 2.8 ghz processor with 1.2 gigs of ram but according to some of my games their reading the processor as 1.5ghz so none of these games are properly working even though my computer more than meets the hardware requirements anyway any help would greatly be appreciated

Sounds like the BIOS is set up incorrectly.

Whaen you 1st boot up, hit Del a few times and you'll enter the BIOS.

Hopefully, on the far right tab, there will be an option to "Load Optimised Defaults". Do that, reboot and see what it's reported as now.

CPUz will tell you what it is actually running at: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

ok its saying its running pretty close to what it should be but that doesnt make sense because the computer runs slow while playing games even games that only require 256mbs of ram it lags badly

Maybe you have some Malware running in the Background...

Hit Ctrl / Alt / Del, and look at Processes, is something using a lot of CPU?

It'd pay to run a Virus Scan, then a Spyware one.

One other thing to look at - Right Click on My Computer, select Properties, Hardware, Device Manager, IDE Controllers, and look at the Primary Channel, Advanced, and make sure it's running DMA, not PIO - if it's PIO, Right click on the controller, and select Uninstall, reboot, let Windows find & install it again, reboot and check it's DMA.

Download CPU-Z. It's a free utility that gives you info about your system. Run it and under the cpu tab look at the core speed. I have a 2.6ghz and it can show anywhere from 1000 to 2605mhz, depending what the system is doing at the time.

It's a Socket 478, I don't believe they had Stepping - it should be 2800 all the time.

I posted a link to CPUz earlier, to save you looking for it.

Fragrant, All Intel and AMD have the stepping

For Socket 478, it don't matter what kind of CPU you using, except if he use the Prescott chip.

I beg to differ.

Hyperthreading, yes, on selected Pentiums, but not Speed Stepping - i.e dropping the Multiplyer when low usage.

The Pentium "M", yes, the everyday P4, no - especially on a basic board like his.

AMD adopted it for the S939 - "Cool 'n Quiet", Intel for the S775.

I'll eat my shorts if I'm wrong - and believe me, they ain't tasty!

AMD adopted it for all its desktop/server CPUs since they moved to the Athlon64 architecture so Socket-754 & Socket-940 parts also had that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back