CPU Stuck to Heat Sink - Swapping into new MSI MoBo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of replacing a failed mobo on an eMachines T2682 (yea, they all fail). When I pulled the heat sink/fan assembly, the cpu came with it, stuck to the heat sink. Is that typical?

Any way, no broken pins on the CPU, but now I need to re-install in the new MSI 661FM2-LSR mobo. Given that the no insertion force-lever setup would only seem to work as designed if I install the CPU by itself first, I'm thinking I should slice it away from the heat sink with a razor blade, and then re-install it with some fresh Arctic Silver. Am I thinking correctly?

Appreciate any responses - I'm at a hard-stop until I get some guidance - don't want to screw up the CPU.

Thanks...

No Problem

I have pulled many CPU's out, and most of them come out on the heat sink if they have been in there any length of time at all. Usually you can seperate them with a fingernail. If it is stuck tighter just use somthing like a pocket screwdriver to gently pry them apart. When reinstalling be sure to clean off all the old grease and apply new dielectric grease between CPU and Heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back