CPU temp error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, while doing some downloading, my computer just shut off, and on reboot, it gave me 2 errors. Not sure the exact wording, but it went something like this:

CPU fan error
Temperature error something something... Sorry for being so vague, but thats all I remember. I figured it was my comp too hot, so I put a fan next to it, and tried to cool it down some, and restarted later, and it seemd to work fine, and i took the fan away, and resumed watching a video i downloaded, and once again it turned itself off. So i decided to unplug my comp for the night, and when I restarted today , I got some weird error like the previous ones, but a new one saying my date and time were all screwed up, and something else... And when i got to the desktop it had the date as Dec 1 2001.

Not sure what to do, or how to fix this. I have a ASUS k8v mobo, and a amd athlon 3000+ proccessor, and i run a radeon 9800 pro 128 mb graphics card.

You seem to have overheating in your computer. Run a program called speed fan and tell us the temps (if any appear, and the stable ones only).

Ok i installed that program and heres what i see

temp1 25C and an arrow pointing down
temp2 44C and a green checkmark
temp 64C with a fire symbol next to it... lol that cant be good
HD0 29C with a down arrow
Core 49C with a green checkmark which is moving to 51C with a fire symbol (back and fourth)

This is all while i have my desk fan blowing on my PCs guts, side panel off.

once again my comp shut off, as i was palying a game.. and my Core temp is now at 80C and my temp 2 is over 70C , not sure why its suddenly overheating... What can i do?

yes it was that hot with the case off.. I have one small fan in the case, and thats about it i think,theres 2 fans on my power supply.

Right now its back down to 50C with the fan still blowing on it.

Still thats 122F, So do you just have one fan and its on the heatsink to the cpu or do you have the heatsink fan and a casefan? And that is ver bad being that hot with the side off and that is really really bad becuase being over 140f without having the side cover on and having a fan on it is serious

yes i have a case fan and a heat sink fan, and my video card has a little fan.. I believe its always been this hot, what could be the problem? just a lack of fans, and if so, why is it having problems now all of a sudden and not a year ago?

After looking into my case, i have just discovered that my fan located ontop of my mobo, my heatsink im guessing, is NOT moving. Not sure how long this has been broke for. Is there any methods i can go about to making to work again, or do i simply need a new fan for it?

Make sure all fans and heat sinks are free of dust. It would also bee a good idea to remove your CPU heat sink and re-apply some thermal paste to it.

64 Degrees celcius (~150-155 F) is hot. The only processors that normally run this hot are the last Intel Prescott models. I am more familiar with Intel temps than Athlon. I am switching actually to an AMD. Anyway, that does seem quite hot.

Yes by the way 140f is very bad for an intel cpu Im not sure what amd temps should be either but still I doubt it should be that hot and yes get canned air blow all the dust away from the system, reapply thermal compound paste to the heatsink, possibley add more case fans and then it should be ok

You could also try a newer, better cpu heatsink. There is also something sold at retail stores as well as online that allows you to put a casing over the vid card that adds a fan to it to cool it down a bit (I forget that name of it!).

blowing out/vacuuming the dust from the case and heatsink(s) is always a good idea, but it will not solve the overheating problem. the CPU fan stopped spinning, that's the problem. (althought it maybe a result of too must dust build-up).

as for the temps, the max operating temp for an athlon64 is 65°C

aimarty, you can replace just the fan itself if you wish (make sure the physical size and voltage match, and that the CFM equals or exceeds that of the original). but it would be better to replace the entire heatsink itself (which will include a new fan already installed).

a basic heatsink/fan will not cost much. here is one for only $6.99

cheers :wave:

Aimarty said:
After looking into my case, i have just discovered that my fan located ontop of my mobo, my heatsink im guessing, is NOT moving. Not sure how long this has been broke for. Is there any methods i can go about to making to work again, or do i simply need a new fan for it?
well you've found your answer to the "CPU fan error" problem.. It probably started the same time you've got this message.. i'm suprised none of you guys picked this up earlier :D (no offence k'z?)

As kingcody stated, if that fan is burnt out and a simple dusting can't fix it, then you will need to replace it.. and changing the whole heatsink and fan is much better then just changing just the fan itself (you can get cooler and quieter ones than the one you've got etc)

As for your other problem with the time/date getting screwed up it could be the cmos battery dieing..

N3051M said:
well you've found your answer to the "CPU fan error" problem.. It probably started the same time you've got this message.. i'm suprised none of you guys picked this up earlier :D (no offence k'z?)

As kingcody stated, if that fan is burnt out and a simple dusting can't fix it, then you will need to replace it.. and changing the whole heatsink and fan is much better then just changing just the fan itself (you can get cooler and quieter ones than the one you've got etc)

As for your other problem with the time/date getting screwed up it could be the cmos battery dieing..

Wow, I didn't even see that! :angel:

Yeah I know you cant fix a broken fan, I didnt look at the other posts when I posted that and yes the cpu heatsink fan not moving is a BIG problem thats deff what caused it relace it and you should be fine, didnt speed fan detect that? it should of said 0 rmp also if you go into the options you can select it to tell you the temps in f instead of c

Also how old is the system because noramly fans dont fail that new well atleast they never did for me they usually last a long time and also make sure you clean your system every so often I havent cleaned my one system in over a year something tells me I think its time, by the way anybody since this thread is sort of releated to cleaning how often should you clean out a pc on average?

I guess its sort of old, I built this PC myself about 2-3 years ago. ALl decent stuff i believe, maybe i just went cheap on the heatsink, altohugh after i noticed it was stopped, i removed the fan and cleared out about a pound of dust, lol... I smoke around my computer a lot and im usre that contributed to my cause

GeekieNick101 said:
Also how old is the system because noramly fans dont fail that new well atleast they never did for me they usually last a long time and also make sure you clean your system every so often I havent cleaned my one system in over a year something tells me I think its time, by the way anybody since this thread is sort of releated to cleaning how often should you clean out a pc on average?
fans can last from a very long time to a very short time depending on how much stress its put through and other factors..

I clean my PC every few months (average every 3-4 months, if i remember to..)

Another tale-tell sign to clean your PC is when you start to see a carpet of dust on your fans/dust filters.........

Well thanks for all the help everyone, much appriciated. I ordered that heatsink fan that you linked me to on newegg, it has good reviews so I should be all set. Would you also recommend me adding another fan to the back of my comp? Or will this new ehatsink do the trick, since I only started getting this error recently, and its obviously (99%) because of the non-working heatsink.

Again, thanks for the time and help :)

Well you can never have too many fans, adding an extra one certainly wont do any harm!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back