CPU temp question and CPU fan wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

When i used my computer the night before everthing was working outstanding. But the next day when i turned on the computer it started up fine, then the cpu fan warning came on and the fan stopped...i was like WTF!..so io plugged the fan into the motherboards powerfan...running around 3300rpms...what can i do to fix this, and is 33celsius(91.4f day idle) and 30c(86f night idle) to hot for a cpu, i max out while playing games at 41c. I have 5 case fans with controller, i leave it up all the way...80mtop sucks out, 2x80m back blow in, 1x120m side blows on Cpu and gpu, and 1x80m lower front sucks in...is this a bad setup??

AND Athlon 64 3000+ cpu (stock heatsink@fan)
gigabyte nForce 3 250 motherboard
ddr 512mb pc32200 Corsair Ram
74gb raptor HD
Gigabyte 128mb fx5900xt gpu
52X32X52 CD-burner combo drive
Aspire X-navigator game case

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You will obviously need to replace the broken cpu fan this won`t be to expensive.

As for your temps they look absolutely fine to me.

Your set up is obviously working ok so stick with it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks

The cpu fan is workingbut it wont work off the motherboards cpu fan connector. Thanks for letting me know everything is cool,,literally..thxs

That doesn't sound like all that much of a current drawing fan, but it would appear that it smoked the power trace to the CPU fan connector. It may happen to PowerFan connector soon too. You may want to get a 3pin fan connector to 4 pin molex connector adapter and power the fan that way. You can find them with the fan speed sense connector that will plug back into the MB fan header for fan monitoring.

Example:4 to 3 Pin Y Cable/Adaptor with 3 Pin RPM Sensor Connector

oO

gee wizz..thanks alot..so it shorted out my MB fan controller...and it could happen to the powerfan...okie dokie..ima get one of those splitter thingies...laterz :D

Are you sure it isn't cool'n'quite that's enabled ? With cool'n'quite, if your CPU temp is low enough & that the CPU isn't too busy, the speed & voltage of the chip is lowered (like on laptops) & the CPU fan is slowed down to lower the noise.

yoyoyo

yeah im sure its not on quiet'n'cool..the fan completly shuts off after about 10 seconds in boot up in BIOS...i fixed this problem by simply ruuning the power from my PSU amd using my fan control feature on my case...now im seeing temps in idle, in fact while im typing this at 29c(fan powered)..thx alot for the help :grinthumb

so it runs for 10 seconds then shuts off? it didn't jsut die completely? well then I was wrong on assuming you burned the trace. Didn't some older motherboard have a problem with the BIOS temp control that would shut off the CPU fan? Anyone else recall that?

i have a brand new Gigabyte K8nsnxp Nforce3 250 MB...i would hope that after the second days use it wouldnt bog out on me...help would be cool...and if there is cool and quiet how the "balls" do i disable it?? thx

I also did a bios update..the newest for my board...maybe that did it? If so i have that flash bios program and i can roll back...if u think it could be this lemme know plz..thx

I have a similar issue on this motherboard. I power on the PC and get the CPU fan warning. I can then press reset and everything will boot fine second time 'round. Everything is brand new as well...

Same here

I'm having the same issue with my new GA-K8NS Pro. Like matkidson, pressing the reset button after the fan first stops seems to fix the problem, but I don't want to risk someone else turning my machine on and frying it, so I've hooked the CPU fan to the power fan supply on the motherboard like you first did, Shaggy, and it seems to work just fine, running at 29C idle. I've upgraded the bios from F6 to F8, and the problem persists.

Weird.

Same here...

Im still puzzled, kinda scared... I came home to a PC, which was turned off, when I turned it on, I looked inside and noticed the fan was not spinning, I booted it a few times, worried to leave it on too long, and each time the fan spun a few seconds and then turned off..

I noticed once the temp reached about 40° or so, a reboot caused the fan to spin up and stay on, since then its been running.. the last 15 minutes so far.. Im wondering how my machine got turned off.. I didnt have the temp warning or shutdown enabled. and 2. why is the fan stopping.. is this board stupid enough to think "ohh less than 40°, I dont need the fan"..

Im gonna give gigabyte a call about this.. I also have 64 3000+ on K8NS Pro.

**** I found out while I was gone we had a power outtage, that explains the shutdown computer.. so I still have the fan thing in common with you guys, Ill let you know what gigabyte says on monday. ****

Shaggy said:
i have a brand new Gigabyte K8nsnxp Nforce3 250 MB...i would hope that after the second days use it wouldnt bog out on me...help would be cool...and if there is cool and quiet how the "balls" do i disable it?? thx

I also did a bios update..the newest for my board...maybe that did it? If so i have that flash bios program and i can roll back...if u think it could be this lemme know plz..thx

That sounds normal. The fan should shut off if the CPU is cool enough with cool n quiet.

I don't suggest you disable it unless you are having stability issues. IT uses less power, keeps the cpu at a lower average temperature and uses the fan less, extending the life of both.

You can adjust at what temperature the fan turns on in the BIOS.

Hi Soul Harvester. One question--if this is normal behavior, why does the CPU fan alarm sound when the fan stops? I'm wary of just disabling the alarm and hoping my machine doesn't fry.

2 reasons it would alarm

1) If you are running the ASUS PC Probe, it will warn you if the fan has low RPMs. If you are running that, disable the monitor for the CPU fan.

2) In BIOS it may have a low cpu fan warning. On my K8N, if I restart my computer, it warns me with, "CPU Fan Error! Press F1 To Continue!" even though it is normal.

If it's either of those you are just fine. If it's something else, let me know.

This sounds kinda like my problem. All it took was a 40 minute car journey to stop my computer working after only 2 weeks. It powers on, it posts (I think, i.e. it gives a short bleep and gets past the first screen of cpu id, IDEs etc). Then on the next screen of RAID disabled and so on, it gives me a continuous beep, the cpu fan stops spinning and I daren't do anything but switch it off. I can't even access BIOS without getting that tone. Could anyone tell me if this sounds like a fan problem, cpu problem or either (or even none of the above) and what I might need to do to fix it?

Any help would be incredibly appreciated. I just got Dungeon Keeper today...

Ah, turns out you've already been very helpful. Pressing the reset button stopped the alarm on startup and cpu temperatures are normal too if anyone cared. Weird though. Wonder why that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back