Cpu Temp Wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, i have a
amd athlon xp1800+ 1.53 ghz with stock cooling fan and heat sink... 4500rpm
i was looking around in my bios at the overclocking features, and what options i had when i noticed my cpu temp at 75 degrees c, wtf.... it should be around 45 or 55 max why is it so high? nothing has been done OC wise, this is the first time i saw this, ive had the computer for 2 years.

mb is aopen ak77-8xn via kt400 chipset

any clues?

Id also replace the fan. Ive never had an AMD fan that lasted more than a year. Also the thermal paste tends to dry out with age. Also make sure the heatsink and fan arent clogged with dust.

At least get yourself a can of pressurized air and blow the dust bunnies out of your fan and heatsink. :slurp:

Nath0427

yes i hav excactly the same athalon xp 1800+ 1.53GHZ

but is runing at 55C on startup !!?!?!?!

and 65C rite now and i havnt even played a game yet, just bin on the net

My motherboard is

MSI = KM400A

I have motherboard monitor and it tells me cpu temp is 42C

but speed fan and bios tell me 65C so i'm confused???

my friend had the same type of board as me and had some weird fault in
it just wondering if it could b my MB??

any way 2 lower my cpu would b greatly appreciated
:confused: :confused:
Thanx

Nathan

How old is the fan? When is the last time you cleaned out the case for dust. And if you have already done that, then what software are you using to check temps?

Sean

Nath0427

AtK SpAdE said:
How old is the fan? When is the last time you cleaned out the case for dust. And if you have already done that, then what software are you using to check temps?

Sean

Umm not sure how old it is, but i know over a year and i am going 2 clean out the dust from it and the heatsink 2day sumtime, will use an air compressor that okay??

and i am using speedfan 4.20

and motherboard monitor 5

they give me different readings

i want to beleive MBM but i think
speed fan is true.

Nath0427

I have cleaned it out

to put it mildly, all the fans including cpu are dirt free,

i hav 4 systen fans,

i also cleaned out the heatsink

and put more thermal paste on

and i cleaned out my graphics card heatsink and fan
and put more thermal paste on that cos i thought
that my be contributing.

Startup and 55C! well its an improvement from 65C
I will leave it overnite and c wat happens,

meanwhile is there anyother ways in can cool
down without spending moneys??

People think that thermalpaste is used to transfer heat from CPU to heatsink. I'll tell you that this is wrong, it is just to facilitate the transfer. Having 1mm of thermalpaste on your CPU is worse than having just 0.05 mm (which is recommended).

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/5,62.html

The idea of a thermalpaste is to remove air between the CPU and heatsink, as air is a bad conductor of heat, as you can read from that site.

To apply it properly, here's the instructions on how to apply Arctic Silver 5.
(P4) http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm
(AMD) http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_small.htm

These should be good for other thermal paste as well, and I've used this instruction for cheap thermalpaste too, and its working fine (P4 temp (idle) 26 C, (full load) 32 C)

Probably can get it to go lower, but I'm not too concerned with these temperatures.

Other ways to cool down the PC without spending money?
You're probably looking at reducing CPU speed there :p. I know some cheap ways of reducing temps (adding some 80mm or 120mm case fans help tremendously), but free? I can't think of any, and would also like some ideas. My other 2 comps are running at 40+ C for some reason.

Umm thanx a lot.

since i cleaned it out it has bin sitting on 55, which is betta than be4

i will try that arctic silver thing, yeh i hav cheap paste, umm i dont no wat country ur in but im in australia, i can get conducting silver from jaycar for like five bucks is that the same stuff???

I already hav the max amount of fans without modding my case.

I'm from australia (Melbourne) too, and I've been to Jaycar, I didn't see any silver thermalpaste, only that cheap one (which I am using).

But I must say that the reason I'm running that cool is cos of my HSF :p I kinda blew 55 bux on that.

Nath0427

CMH said:
I'm from australia (Melbourne) too, and I've been to Jaycar, I didn't see any silver thermalpaste, only that cheap one (which I am using).

But I must say that the reason I'm running that cool is cos of my HSF :p I kinda blew 55 bux on that.

kool im in geelong :)

i didnt want 2 buy it cos it is really runny looking and if u get it on ur
mb u short things out, and its not in a syringe its in a little tube thing, but no worries i just bought a syringe of conductive silver off ebay for 7.50 :)

Not sure if those 25% silver things are actually any better than the cheapo ones. Probably is alot better, still waiting for someone to do some comparison tests :p.

Also, I've seen some of those polymer ones, and they look too dodgy, although claiming to be military standard. They're quite cheap too, but if they are that good, I'd expect at least a link to some specs or something.

I'm still waiting for the price of the Arctic Silver 5 to come down alittle, I'm still too poor, have to pay off my 5 day skiing trip next month (800 bux?!? ahh well, still worth it). Was considering bringing my comp up there, maybe someone can tell me the chances of snow getting into the comp and stuffing things up :p

Yeh i no wat u mean, arctic silver 5 is really expensive,

i heard somethin about ide cable splitting helps ur temp, does any1 have any info on that??

oh yes and i was wondering if anyone else had ideas as to what prog to use for CPU temp mesauring now hav speedfan 4.24 but, im confused as to which one it is cos there is CPU and CPU1 on my comp some help would b gr8

nath0427 said:
i heard somethin about ide cable splitting helps ur temp, does any1 have any info on that??

You can get rounded cables, that help airflow inside your case. An example of them can be found here

nath0427 said:
oh yes and i was wondering if anyone else had ideas as to what prog to use for CPU temp mesauring

Your BIOS should tell you and acurate reading of your temps. Also Everest Home edition which can be found here
Good luck

nath0427

K thanx for that linx r really useful

guess wot, their is a tube of artic silver 5 on ebay for like 12 bux buy it now

im watching it tho,, lol

I think a new heatsink and fan will fix it.

If you're thinking of doing overclocking, you'd need to get some really good heatsink there (depending on how much you want to OC it).

Well, keep in touch, I'm interested in doing a little OC too, only thing putting me off is the risk of stuff blowing up (not literally of course, just don't want to have to replace stuff, comps are running 24/7, increased risk of stuff blowing).

Also, if you don't want your stock HSF (since you're changing it), I'm interested in having that for a small project of mine. private messaging on these forums will work nicely if you're interested.

As an electronics technician, I've worked with high power devices and heat sinks for a couple decades. (I'm speaking of 2000+ watt RF amplifiers and high power car amps.) I have still yet to be shown any evidence of superior cooling with high price thermal compounds over generic thermal paste - provided that both are applied properly and in a very thin layer over very SMOOTH and very CLEAN surfaces. The entire purpose of the paste is to fill minor surface pits so that the air gap that would otherwise be there won't hinder heat transfer. The best heat transfer occurs where metal is in direct contact with metal and the paste only serves to fill the gaps. I refuse to pay the price they want for those Arctic Silver type pastes when the generic stuff will acomplish the same thing at less than 1/4 the price if used properly. Clean and smooth sufaces are essential.

nath0427

blaacksheep said:
As an electronics technician, I've worked with high power devices and heat sinks for a couple decades. (I'm speaking of 2000+ watt RF amplifiers and high power car amps.) I have still yet to be shown any evidence of superior cooling with high price thermal compounds over generic thermal paste - provided that both are applied properly and in a very thin layer over very SMOOTH and very CLEAN surfaces. The entire purpose of the paste is to fill minor surface pits so that the air gap that would otherwise be there won't hinder heat transfer. The best heat transfer occurs where metal is in direct contact with metal and the paste only serves to fill the gaps. I refuse to pay the price they want for those Arctic Silver type pastes when the generic stuff will acomplish the same thing at less than 1/4 the price if used properly. Clean and smooth sufaces are essential.

Ok, thanx

My heatsink has realy deep scratches where the dye goes, so im looking at a new fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back