CPU temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I just got a new computer and I have downloaded PC Wizard 2007 to check the temperatures (I had an overheating problem on my old one).
This is the result: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/799/temperaturesxf9.jpg
(This is at mostly idle ... just a few IE windows open, Winamp etc.)

When I am playing games the Core temperatures go to 80-90C which I am guessing is way too much but the Processor (and Motherboeard) temp stays at 55-60C during that time. Also, the computer keeps behaving normally (no lag, programs launch quickly etc.)

So, which temperature should I keep an eye on ? Core or Processor ?
And why are Core temperatures so high ?
Another question is about the 12V Voltage that seems low but I have no idea what to do to up it to arount 12V ?

My system specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ - 3,0 GHz
NVidia nForce 590 SLI
Double NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - 768 Mo, SLI
2 Mb RAM

Thanks for your help.

Did you try downloading some other tools, like Everest or speedfan, I prefer speedfan because its pretty quick.

Jeez, you bought this or built it, it may be a few things, a bad fitting of the heatsink, or bad air flow in the case maybe.

A lot of those monitoring programs aren't very accurate.

Have a look in the BIOS and see what it reports - it's usually called "Hardware Monitor" or similar.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to remove the Heatsink, give it and the CPU a clean and use some quality thermal paste.

That "core" temp may be referring to your Video Card - they do get hot!

This is true, the most recent version of speedfan shows video card temp too, which was confusing when i downloaded it.

these are my speedfan specs, which r kinda weird as well.

system 37C
cpu 27C
aux 122C< I dont even know what this is
core0: 32:
core1:33

Fragrant Coit said:
Have a look in the BIOS and see what it reports - it's usually called "Hardware Monitor" or similar.

I did on load after having the computer off the whole night. In BIOS it said CPU at 23-25C on load and once I got to Windows, SpeedFan reported this same temperature for CORE (the one that goes way high usually).

But then I ran a game and CORE went to 80-85C , and it took about 20-25min for it to go down to 60-65C. So I ran a game again and when the Core went to 85C I rebooted and went to BIOS which reported CPU at 64C.

So, on load the CPU in BIOS and Core in SpeedFan are the same, but after running the games I get the impression that CPU in BIOS and CPU in SpeedFan are the same ... This is just confusing ><

I've read that thermal paste can take a few days to start working properly. Is that true and can this be the reason ?

thermal paste sometimes need to get burned in, I know for me it usually takes 5 days at most for this to happen, but thermal paste really only make about a 5C temp difference, or a good one anyway. I think you just need a better heatsink, or maybe the one that's in the case is seated wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back