CPU turns on, but monitor says "no signal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is my first build (its definitely the way to go if any of you are thinkin about tryin it out) and ive had no complaints except this one problem ...

my computer seems to refuse to boot up whenever it doesnt want to run ... i hit the power button and all the fans start running n lights come on inside the tower, but nothing else happens ... usually have to hit the reset button a couple times or turn it off with the power button n it will boot up when it wants to and ive been dealing with it by not turning off or restarting my computer (sadly lol) but its getting annoying ... sometimes i get the beeps from the mobo and the screen comes on n other times ill get the beeps but nothing happens ... ive gone a week restarting my computer (manually) sometimes before it decides to boot back up in the past ...

when it does decide to boot back up jus before loading up XP i get a message about an error in the boot up (which i cant remember off the top of my head unfortunately) n the next line appears saying its going to boot from C:\Windows and everything runs fine once it gets passed there ...

I've tried turning everything off, unplugging everything, and plugging it all back in ... I've tried clearing out the inside with an air duster ... I've tried 2 different monitors ... i dont know what else to do ..

please help ... thx

*edit* almost forgot

Mobo: Gigabyte P35C DS3R
CPU: IC2D E6750 2.66ghz
2 Western Digital 500gb 7500rpm drives in a RAID array
1 Western Digital 75gb 10000rpm drive
Running XP Pro
XFX GeForce 7900GS video card

O and the other thing ive tried is using the D-Sub cable by itself, the DVI cable by itself, and both at the same time .. doesnt seem to make a difference either way (didnt think it would be figured what the hell)

thx for the help ...

#1) XFX GeForce 7900GS video card -> What drivers did you install? If it came with a CD you should use those instead of the windows assigned ones

yea i used the drivers from the CD ... when i finished building the comp everything worked fine n then one day i shut it down n when i went to turn it back on i got nothing n ive had this problem almost every other time i restart or shut it down and try to power back up

sometimes it starts up right away .. others its a little more stubborn i have to restart a few times .. once or twice ive gotten frustrated to the point of walking away for a few days

If you are on this computer now can you please click the paperclip icon above your reply here and navigate to C:\windows\minidump\minidump.dmp

Attach your last 2 or 3 minidump files

nope ... it sits there running with all the fans on (including the one on the video card) and all the LED lights on the fans and the LED lights on my RAM modules are on too, but it doesnt do anything else

power supply check it
can be a hardware failure that comes and goes and your getting lucky
remove one of the drives except of course the OS boot drive
check your memory sticks do same thing
my guess the PSU or a drive going bad

everything is brand new i hope it isnt a bad drive .. but i actually thought about doin that n got distracted doing something else n never came back to the idea ... ill try it out now; thx for reminding me

i took the computer completely a part and put everything back together from scratch ... before i reconnected everything i tried turning on the motherboard with nothing connected to it but my psu and my ram ... nothing worked and there was no difference after i put everything back together again ...

Sounds like the psu. They're tricky because sometimes they can run fans and led's after they've failed. If it turns on and stops when you press the power switch and then stays on when you press it again it's the psu - happened to me and I found out by buying a new mbd! Bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back