CPU usage always at 100%, help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bark4Soul

Okay so I know I have some spyware on my box, I am trying to remove it but in the meantime I am looking for help. In the last two days I magically lost 10gb on my C: drive and whenever I boot now my CPU usage is at 100%, I ran msconfig and checked that, everything is normal (I think) and I've closed everything I know of and it's still not working. I'm trying to fix this but am out of ideas. My Norton and SpySweeper both just expired and I'm thinking it might have something to do with that I'm not protected against stuff like this anymore, can anyone help me get mt usage down so I can...you know...do anything on here, PLEASE! Any ideas at this point will help me greatly..

Also, I am currently defragging my C drive and it's stuck on 3% with a ton of .tmp files, I tried deleting them manually but it said I can't...

You have much greater problems than just 100% CPU usage. Don't worry, your CPU won't blow up! Take care of the spyware and protections issues then work on the CPU usage. Download CCleaner, and see if it can help things. What are your system specs? What Operating System are you running?

Here are the specs as i know them..

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Newcastle 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor
Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
SAPPHIRE 100151 Radeon X1300 256MB
ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard
Windows XP Pro, SP2

So yeah, what does this CCleaner do? I will go look it up on Downloads.com and see what I can find.

I have moved this thread to our security and the web forum.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above you decide you want to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Bark4Soul only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

download avg free for your own good also if the CPU does keep on being 100% usage then do a disk cleanup and defrag that normally helps
mike

Be sure to do exactly what Howard says... It could save valuable data and a lot of time. Maybe even a FORMAT and OS reinstall too

Ill get on it, thanx a lot guys, Howard has helped me before, so Ill get into it and let you all know!!!

What is using 100% of CPU? If you find out that, easy as looking in the task manager, you are a huge step towards at least fixing that. Just google what it is if you don't know. If its spyware there will be instructions on how to remove it somewhere in the google results.

SNGX1275 said:
What is using 100% of CPU? If you find out that, easy as looking in the task manager, you are a huge step towards at least fixing that. Just google what it is if you don't know. If its spyware there will be instructions on how to remove it somewhere in the google results.

Howard has already posted instructions on how to remove spyware and malware. The fact that the CPU is used 100% is irrelevant at this point, I believe

It's still annoying tho, I somehow lost 10gb on my C drive when I woke up this morning. I dont know if any of these programs will fix it, I know I tried to manually delete a ton of .tmp files and it wouldnt let me. I started to defrag and it was working but I stopped it cause it was slowing things down further. I have tried googling anything from Task Manager yet. Also, important question, HOW do I attach those logs, I see em all over the place here but how is it done? Plz respond soon so I can show you guys whats up..

See HERE for instructions on how to attach log files.

I need to see HJT and AVG Antispyware logs.

This thread is for the use of Bark4Soul only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Here is what I have so far, I have run a HJT, and I think this is the log ur looking for? I included the startup one incase it had any relevance to my slow system. Also AVG has been running for like 2 hours and still scanning, is that normal?

Your are using an outdated version of HJT.

AVG Antispyware can take a long time depending on how much data you have on your system. However, if it refuses to finish scanning soon, cancel it.

Please go HERE and follow all the instructions exactly, including getting the latest version of HJT, which is 1.99.1. Also, please make sure you put HJT in the correct directory such as C:\program files\HJT\Analyze.exe. Not on your desktop or in a temp location.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs(if you can), only after doing the above.

Can someome or anything tell me why my HD space is being eaten alive?

EDIT: I added a new log from HJT (The newest version) and threw it on there, AVG or Ewido was taking over 2 hours, it found one infection but I will run it again and post that asap....hope this tells ya something. Also if there is an infection, can I get that HD space back by defragging?

That`s what I`m trying to find out. It could be caused by some kind of infection. We need to be able to rule out an infection, before looking for any other causes.

Once I have your log files, I`ll have a better idea of what it might be.

I`ve just spotted your fresh HJT log.

The only bad entry in your log is the Viewpoint programme. You should uninstall it from add remove programmes.

It also appears you`re running Nod32 and Symantec/Norton at the same time. this is not recommended and will slow your system down. It can also cause conflicts.

Uninstall one of them from add remove programmes. I recommend you get rid of the Symantec/Norton resource hogging crap. Also, since Spysweeper has expired, you might as well uninstall that as well.

If your AVG Antispyware log doesn`t show any infections, then I need you to tell me what process is taking 100% of your cpu.

Post a fresh HJT log, when done.

AVG is still running, SpySweeper is no longer on the box, and my whole Norton/Symantec is uninstalling as we speak. I will post the logs as soon as they are done? I liked Norton tho as a 24/7 kinda watch over my comp. What do you suggest I use that kind of monitors it all, will Nod32 do all that? I only use like on part of it...

I recommend AVG free and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes.

I`ve been using AVG free and Zonealarm for years without any problems whatsoever.

You`ll find links to the free antivirus and firewall programmes in this thread HERE.

Symantec/Norton crapware is well known for being one of the biggest resource hogs around. Add to that it`s not actually that good at killing viruses and you`ll see why so many members of Techspot hate it with a vengeance.

You`ll need to keep checking in your add remove programmes to make sure all the Symantec/Norton crap is fully uninstalled. It usually needs to be uninstalled in several bits.

Norton has expried too. From this mess of a system, I can imagine that any protection had been expired or ineffective for a good while. Viewpoint Toolbar has long been suspected of either having spyware or aiding spyware, even though Viewpoint flatly denied this... for years, I might add.

Howard, isn't it true that many spyware/malware/virus infections can slow a system? Wouldn't it be logical that CPU would have to work overtime to compensate, thus running at 100%? I'm using the beta version of Symantec's Norton 360. It is designed for use with Vista. Scans are much faster, updates and overall performance is good. System boot up is faster. System backup is totally automated after the initial setup. It seems to work well.

Tmagic650 said:
Howard, isn't it true that many spyware/malware/virus infections can slow a system? Wouldn't it be logical that CPU would have to work overtime to compensate, thus running at 100%?

Yes that is true mate. However, according to Bark4Soul`s HJT log, there is nothing particularly bad in it. Except for the Viewpoint programme which is easily removed from add remove programmes. I`m awaiting an AVG Antispyware scan, just to make sure there`s nothing nasty that`s not picked up by HJT.

I think the fact that more than one antivirus programme is running may have something to do with the problem, but I can`t be sure until that`s sorted out.

This thread is for the use of Tmagic650 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Tmagic650 said:
Howard has already posted instructions on how to remove spyware and malware. The fact that the CPU is used 100% is irrelevant at this point, I believe
Well it should have been asked/answered earlier, not every problem is spyware related, this one may have 2 unrelated parts, and the thread title was about the 100% CPU usage. You are the one that turned it into a spyware thread. Many times common sense can fix a problem like this without the need to install 3 different programs.

Step 1 should have been to identify what is causing the high cpu usage, what program.
Step 2 would be to determine if this program was one he knowingly installed and is working on doing something he wanted done. If not:
Step 3 would be to google it and find out what it is, many times googling the program will turn up results, if it is indeed malware the google results will lead you to instructions on how to remove it.

I just don't think going through a whole formalized process Howard has set up as something broad enough to capture a wide range of stuff is always the best approach to solving a problem.

Better questions get better answers, and problems get resolved faster.

SNGX1275,
what you say makes sence. I think we all have different approaches to this kind of troubleshooting. Depending on what the age and overall performance of a system will guide me in a decision to clean or reformat. Almost all my Windows 98SE, Windows Me and Windows 2000 Pro systems get reformatted first. XP gives me a little more leway when it comes to repairing. I really don't worry about CPU usage until more obvious problems are solved

You`re quite right SNGX, not all problems are caused by malware and in this instance, so far it seems not to be the case.

However, Bark4Soul did say in his first post
Okay so I know I have some spyware on my box
That`s what led me to move the thread and issue the instructions I did.

Knowing the effects of spyware as I do, I thought it entirely appropriate to check for the same.

Having seen Bark4Soul`s HJT log, it is now apparent that there is a possible antivirus conflict. Hopefully, once that is taken care of the problem may well disappear. If it doesn`t, then other possible causes will have to be looked at.

Well I'm just glad anyone is giving me the time of day on here!! I like all the different opinions. Yes I knew some MINOR spyware was on here due to my expired Spyware programs, I knew it was a matter of time before something got by them and I kind of just put it off. What I don't know, like SNG was saying, I originally posted b/c last nite at this time I had 12gb free on my C:Drive that has my OS and program files on it. This morning my box was running REAL slow (100% with the same stuff it was running last nite) and I was had 289MB instead of 12gb....so I was a lil pissed!

But I'm not sure how long this AVG scan will take, I stopped it after 2 hours, it had found one medium risk item. O did a memory scan in like 12 minutes, 0 results found, I did a HD scan, 0 results found, so then I said to hell with it and started another entire scan, I will let it do it's thing and I will defragg before I go to bed and hopefully have logs for y'all tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back