Cpu Usage Keeps Jumping From Around Zero To Fifty/sixty Percent And Causes Crashing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going mental, i use my pc running xp for music production and the web, for some reason my mouse keeps stuttering and locking up, and the cd writer keeps trying to burn and read from the drive when theres no disk and this is causing programs to crash, ive hit control, alt, delete to check the processes etc when it happens and it shows my cpu jumping from around 3 or 4% to about 53% (very quickly), i could really do with some help with this as im a bit of a novice.

Also can anyone tell me why the my documents folder keeps openong at start up??

Cheers.

windows xp
1.8ghz amd athlon
768 mb ram

I'm not sure as to the cpu issue, I am experiencing a similar issue myself. I may be able to help you with the my documents issue though.

* Check the startup folder in Start>All Programs>Startup
If you see 'My Documents' in there, then just delete it. It will go away.

It could also be something in the registry, or maybe a utility that you used to make My Documents open every bootup, but you have forgotten that you did it.

The only other thing I could think of is that maybe you are using the hibernation feature and you left My Documents open when you restarted your PC.

Try This!

Sounds like something is set to have Real Time Priority. Take another look at your processes and make sure that only:

csrss.exe
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe

are the only processes set to High Priority. Everything else should be at Normal. To enable the column that has priority:

In the Task Manager, select the Processes tab
Then select Views
Then select Select Columns...
Then enable the button that says Base Priority and then hit Ok

Good Luck! :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back