cpu usage maxes out when I play video files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't run video files. CPU usage maxes out. But when I do anything else, it seems fine.

I just recently bought an nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS.

I hope I'm doing this right.. I have
Windows XP proffesional
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1.80 GHz
512 MB RAM
450W power supply
and I think 4 or 5 hard drives?
Don't yell at me please ^^;

I tried to download the latest driver for the card and it tells me thet it is not window logo certified and that if I install it, it might damage my computer.

Can anyone help me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Have u got the drivers that came with the card installed? I have a 7800 GS and I get the same message if I do not install the drivers that came with the card when I recieved it. Otherwise all drivers I try to install will give this same reason for not installing...

Same Issue

I installed the GeForce 76oo (AGP) a few days ago and am having the same problem. I can't play any video files despite the size or type. If I open them my CPU usage shoots up to 100% and even opening the task manager my computer draws one line of the window at a time and then fills in the inside very slowly. I am using media player 11 but that is not the problem as my mp3's still play with no problem.

Everything is up to date.
System Info:

AMD Athelon XP 2600+
2.09 GHz, 1.00 GB of Ram
EMU 1820 Sound
SP 2 is installed
400 + W Power Supply, (I Think 480)

I saw someone mention the cracked version of AOEIII in another thread, I do have this but had no problems with the video with my old card (GeForce 4400).

I have the very same problem with a xfx 6800xt.

It will NOT run the latest NVIDIA drivers. I am using 84.21 and all is well.

No idea what the problem is though.

Figured out the problem. Follow these simple steps to fix.
1. Turn off computer
2. Take out NVidia 7600
3. Put old card back
4. Turn on computer
5. Follow install instructions
6. Return 7600 to where you bought it from

Hope this helps. It worked for me.

You might also want to try downloading VLC and see if viewing the video files in question work here.

VLC is a free media player that does not use system codec's, but instead it's own coding. If CPU usage is normal here, it could very simply be your system has codec's that are either incorrect, old, or for different hardware.

Got the same Problem

with the 7600GS. VLC is doing the same. I tried to use the latest driver 91.47 with the 5200 Card I had before and it worked all fine. running the 7600GS with the driver comming with (84.21) and I had also the max system usage but a black picture and sound. I told Nvidia in a open case but they refused and send me to the reseller and or Card Manufactorer.
Its not the codecs it must be something with the drivers.

Maybe WaltinLA is right to follow the steps :)

"Figured out the problem. Follow these simple steps to fix.
1. Turn off computer
2. Take out NVidia 7600
3. Put old card back
4. Turn on computer
5. Follow install instructions
6. Return 7600 to where you bought it from

Hope this helps. It worked for me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back