CPU Usage Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.freak

I Jus formatted my PC and installed a modified version of My Vista Ultimate ( Updates Integrated) ... I barely have anything installed and my CPU is 25 - 40% usage all the time ... y ?

TaskManager :
taskaz7.jpg

task2vq3.jpg

Is anything wrong ?

At first sight 75 processes are way too many for a supposedly blank system - even for Vista.
Try killing a few of them?

10x for the fast reply .. Well I NEED almost all of them but if I kill the unnecessary 1s how do I keep them "Killed" even after startup? ... Can u provide me with the Services Ican stop and that I might not need ? 10x again

Man cannot coz most of them are drivers or stuff needed by drivers ... I'm told there are some windows processes or services that are not needed but which ones ? plz tell me ... I need all the CP coz it's a 2.8Ghz HT CPU (Old) plus if I get new RAM will the CPU usage go down a bit ? 10x for the replies ...

wow you have 75 processes?!

go to Start > Run and type MSConfig and in Startup uncheck some of the stuff you don't need like nVidia tools ( Also you don't need to load drivers because Windows automatically loads ) and MSN and FRAPs to lower all your processes because you have ALOT :haha:

If you don't know what a process is, type the name into google search bar and go to like www.liutilities.com or www.neuber.com and it'll give you a description of what it is :)

Most processes under "System" / "Local Service" / "Network Service" are the stuff your computer needs, everything else under your username is pretty much extra stuff you installed except for "Explorer.exe"

Normally I can have about 18-21 processes when Idle but when I run programs like Xfire and stuff it goes to around 26 or so.

Also you should scan for viruses, those would make your CPU Usage go to really high percents.

21 processes!!!!!! man fraps I need for games ... MSN well y'know ... and I'm almost never idle ... I'm on the PC 18h/day (My job) I want the CPU usage down while working ... (I'm a webmaster) ... I maintain websites 7 days/week and playtest games for online play ...

w0w ... u have a barebone system there ... unlike u I like my stuff running without me having to run them myself .. some of the stuff under my nick are used either by my G15 Keyboard or by my trackball mouse and Vista considers them as "Extra" appZ dunno y ... Plus I stopped some services that I might not need .. now my system got down to ... hmmmm ... by the looks of my G15 LCD Screen 10 - 15% @ idle ... cool no with 66 processes ...

Now what can u tell me about the services tab of the msconfig ? how many can I disable and which ones ? (Vista NOT XP) ...

10x for da replies
much appreciated ..

Hi
in the services tab, click to hide all Windows items and then clear the lot. This could take out your AV program so you could leave that in place.

I expect for your job, you HAVE to have Vista Ultimate (sigh), else an obvious answer would also be to revert to XP until Vista SP2.....

Could suggest a dual-boot system though.

ok ... 10x u guys ... it's fine now .. the prob was from the firewall ... when I disabled the service completely everything was fine ... what I do not understand is what good does the firewall do ?

What firewall uses that much CPU? Free ZoneAlarm uses unmeasurably little CPU. You definitely need one though, it prevents nasty stuff tugging at your various PC ports until it finds a back-door in. My copy of XoneAlarm tells me it has blocked 16,385 intrusion attempts, 279 being high-rated, since it was installed (when, it fails to divulge - could be a couple of years...)

A hardware firewall is common these days - as long as you can lock it down hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back