CPU vs GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people! my first post here! firstly I wanted to say hi to everybody. hope you alright!

I was wondering if you could help me on that.

I'm going to order a new PC but I'm on a limited budget unfortanetly. I can afford to buy either the QX6700 procceror and a low end graphic card or a hich end grapcic card e.g. 8800GTX and a lower end CPU. My main purpose is to be able able to use adobe after effects as comfortable as possible. I know it can be accelerated from openGL of 8800GTX or the CPU (4 cores). but I dont know which option could be faster. If could pls help me on that would be great!

P.S: if there is anything i said wrong, or quite dont undertand something pls correct me.

Best Regards
Demetris Agathocleous

It will be a personal computer, not for business. Editing is my great passion! I've been editing years now for personal stuff. Wish I had the extra money to buy a high end quadro card. But I believe those days with these cpus things migh change. my purpose as I said is to be able to use adobe after effects as comfortable as possible as well as video editing. dont mind if I cant play games very well or whatever else.

Very few programs can take advantage of a quad4 processor- you're better off with a Core 2 Duo and get a high end graphics card.

do you want to upgrade immediately, core 2 duo quad core seems a bit expensive. I would probably wait till Barcelona arrives, or when Intel ship more quad core cpu's that are cheaper.

A quad-core CPU would not be worth the investment IMO. The 8800GTS would be a much better investment, seeing that the CPU would have to emulate OpenGL for the program, whilst the video card has it built into the hardware. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd suggest a C2D E6600 and an 8800GTS. A processor with 4MB shared L2 Cache for better performance, and a cheaper, but really good, DX10 card, which will help you in the long run.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
A quad-core CPU would not be worth the investment IMO. The 8800GTS would be a much better investment, seeing that the CPU would have to emulate OpenGL for the program, whilst the video card has it built into the hardware. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I donth think the CPU is trying to replace openGL in that case. I think its mostly trying to do the job in its own way than replacin the openGL. on the options you can enable or disable openGL, openGL its more like an extra feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back