CPU vs Video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey
Im planing on upgraiding my system and ive beeing reading alot Hardware articles lately.
So I got only one thing uresloved yet and thats why im here :

Should i Buy
P-2.66Ghz and Radeon 9700pro
or
P-2.8Ghz and radeon 9500pro .

Both options are about the same price and the only differance between 9500 and 9700 is their speeds so i was thinking that i can get faster proccesor that will compinsate the slower V-card but will gain faster overall computer performance.

In short my question is - will P-2.66Ghz & Radeon 9700pro and
P-2.8Ghz & radeon 9500pro give the same frame rates or not.

get the 2.66Ghz and the 9700 Pro. You should easily be able to get it to 2.8Ghz levels overclocking...

Even without the overclocking, the 2.66 and the 9700 Pro should be the fastest.

But if i overclock the 2.8 will i not get even greater clock speed .
And then againg even if there is a diffrance in 3d performance maybe i should get 2.8 becouse of its overall system advanteges
the question is how bis is the diffrance .

speed is not the only difference between the 9500 pro and the 9700 pro. the 9700 has a 256 bit memory bus the 9500 has a 128 bit memory bus.. the 9700 has 8 graphic pipelines the 9500 has 4.

the only place you wouuld be able to tell the difference between a 2.66 and a 2.8 is an artificial benchmark and even there the difference would be very small. there is a much bigger difference between the performance of the two video cards than there is between the CPU's.

Originally posted by iss
speed is not the only difference between the 9500 pro and the 9700 pro. the 9700 has a 256 bit memory bus the 9500 has a 128 bit memory bus.. the 9700 has 8 graphic pipelines the 9500 has 4.

But the specifications u wrote affect only frame rate arent they .
What i meant is that both cards have the same features only diffrent speeds (not clock speed but overall card speed of frames rendering ).

What exactly would you need to be running where a 2.66 Ghz Pentium 4 would be noticeablely slower than a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 though?

Originally posted by hdmk
get the 2.66Ghz and the 9700 Pro. You should easily be able to get it to 2.8Ghz levels overclocking...

Even without the overclocking, the 2.66 and the 9700 Pro should be the fastest.

Agreed. And to be honest, a 2.66 GHz chip is SO FAST ANYWAY that the extra MHz won't really matter. Well, not in any way you are going to instantly notice, anyway... However I think the higher quality vid card WILL IMHO....

Good luck!

Get the 2.66GHZ Pentium 4 and 9700.....that few extra .14GHZ is nothing. Remember a slightly slower cpu with a better components run faster than a slightly faster cpu with less better components.

yep..

as all peeps said.. get the P4 2.66 & Radaeon 9700 Pro
u could always overclock your processor..

I'd go with the amd xp 2600 and the 9700 pro :)

the 2600 is the exact same price at the 2.66 p4 however in benchmarks beats it out... just a thought ;/

I say go with the P4 2.66 and the Radeon 9700 pro. If you make any more comments about why you should go with the P4 2.8 then I think you already have your mind made up. Everyone thus far has made the same suggestion.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back