CPU Wiped Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I made a ridiculously stupid mistake. I installed my CPU in an incompatible motherboard (specifically, a Core 2 Duo E6400 in an Asus P5LD2-Deluxe... same socket, but they don't work together). Before I discovered this, I turned the system on and off maybe 2 dozen times trying to figure out why the thing wouldn't start properly (it would turn on and immediately turn off again).
My question is this: Intel says I may have voided the warranty and possibly damaged the processor. In any of your experience, is this likely? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to replace the processor or the mobo at this point. Is the processor pretty much definitely damaged? Or is there no way to know? (I don't have any other way to test either piece of equipment).

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Have you been able to test this on any other computers with the compatible motherboard and socket?

No, unfortunately I simply haven't the resources to test the processor elsewhere (I don't own a compatible motherboard, but I don't want to purchase one if the processor I'm purchasing it for it already damaged). I guess I'm just hoping that someone might know, in general, the potential for this sort of incompatibility to damage the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back