Cpu won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer that is about a year old. I had it built so don't know much about its guts. One morning about a week ago it shut it's self down. I thought it was kind of strange but it rebooted no problem. A couple hours later it did it again. I rebooted again no problem. Before I left the room it shut down and won't reboot. It made a couple of buzzing noises but then wouldn't even do that. I replaced the Mother Board and still no luck. Have tried changing out the Power Supply with a known good one. Replaced the Processor, Checked the Hard Drives. All seem to work in other computers but the hard drives won't let me install on them in the other machine. (No operating system on the most important.) it seems like the main boot sector on the hard drive was wiped out as well. When I try to install nothing happens. The cpu just sits there. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Am I missing something--didn't you just describe a hard drive problem? If you replaced everything and the drives don't work in another machine then you need to look no farther.

The hard drives do work. I can't install an operating system on one and the second hard drive has all of my data that I can't afford to loose on it. The problem acted more like the mother board than the hard drive but since I have replaced the mother board and tried the hard drives and power supply in another computer I don't understand what is wrong. The computer that I put the hard drives in has always given me problems installing XP and 2000. The computer will not do anything at all even if we try to boot without the hard drives in it. I have contacted the manufacturer and the power supply is adequate but on the lower end. I have also changed the case on this computer. It is very puzzeling to me as to why this won't work.

Hi sdbmshad

Could you describe exactly what happens when you turn on the computer. Step by step so I can understand your issues.

What happens is

when i push the power button on the cpu nothing happens. no noise no lights nothing. That was the reason for calling the manufacturer and checking on the power supply size to insure that I have enough coming in. the computer acts like there is no power comming to it. I have changed the power supply and tested the power supply in other computers and it works fine for those. I have put the mother board in other computers and no problem. I have asked about compatibililty with the power supply and was told that it shouldn't matter. Hope this helps???

Fried cpu

but which part do you think is fried? I have changed all the parts and all seem to be working but the machine won't work. Individually all the parts work. I have asked the obvious questions about compatability and have been told that this is not an issue but the machine still won't work.

From what I have read, it seems that you replaced everything but, you did not mention replacing or changing the memory modules. This may be your problem.
Just one hour ago, I installed an additional memory stick on a computer that I just built few days ago and the system or the cpu would not run, only a clicking sound and few rotations of the fans and then it will stop. I removed the new stick and the system works fine as it was. It could either be a defective module or an incompatibility issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back