CPUkiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how can a processor be too fast for a older game? So if I were to play, say Sim City 2000 or 3000, on my dads 3.02 P4 would the processor or pc nut up?

There are some very early games DLx/P that the coding was such that if you were on a faster processor the action in the game would be faster, so if it was designed for a 386 and now you wanted to have win 98 or something on your shiney 3Ghz P4 it would just be a blur and no one in the world could play it at that speed.

Try to play a game of Wolfenstein Spear of Destiny on your dad's P4 - lemme know how far you get.

LNCPapa

62%(thumbs down sign)
I would rather not try this judging by the poor rating thanks.

Anyone willing to give a real live example of running a game too fast? Note the time (GMT) and my state of mind ;) .

it's very simple

from the developers point of view there are 2 possibilities of coding a game

framerate dependent (often in old games, even sometime in HL) : the amount of movement is dependent of FPS so if you have 100 times more you move 100 times faster

framerate independent : you calculate movement with the system clock so all the systems with different hardware have the same movement

timmore> An old game called DethKarz (or something like that), which was coded to run on a 286 is unplayable on a pentium 100... Thus people use programs like this to get it down to a playable speed...

Yes, I know that game is extremly old, but it was/is quite fun to play, but if I run it on my old p100, I crash about 1 sec after starting...

moslo > cpukiller by far

moslo has been around for a lot longer, is a lot easier to use, and IMO works better for older games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back