Crash leads to no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son was playing a game today while I was away from the computer...it apparently crashed on him and I have no idea what happened because like a typical kid, he bailed and left the house and never even told me it crashed *sigh*. I rebooted and suddenly I'm left with no sound.

I've rebooted again, checked device manager, unplugged and plugged the speakers back in, made sure nothing was on mute, still can't get it to work.

I have a DxDiag text if anyone needs it - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add that I can hear sounds with headphones, just not through the speakers.

Start simple - go to the control panel and double-click the System icon. Click the Hardware tab and then click on the device manager. Find the heading that says "sound, video, and game controllers" - expand it if it has not already been expanded for you. Right-click on each device that says anything about "creative" or "sound blaster" and select uninstall. Confirm any prompts windows might give you. Reboot and allow windows to try to reinstall the sound card automatically. Let us know if this doesn't work.

Edit:

So you edited while I was replying...try reinstalling drivers anyway, but it sounds like the speakers are just bad. Go to a pharmacy or walmart and get a $5 set of headphones - if 2 sets of headphones work and the speakers don't...there's your problem.

I got it to work, thanks. The odd thing is that all I did was turn off the speakers and turn them back on again. I don't pretend to understand, I just accept the gifts given by the computer gods.

Thanks anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back