Crazy suggestion to cut down heat due to radiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv13uk

I was just wondering whether simply buying a silver case as oppose to a black case would help cut down heating, say on computers sat near windows cause silver generally reflects most of radiation heat, you could also paint the insides of the case matt black which would then absorb the heat and hopefully stop heat from building up inside the case - due to radiation. Its just a suggestion, not sure whether it would work or not and the cooling result would probably be minimal, but if you get a choice between silver and black when buying a case it may be more logical to go with the silver one. I'd be interested to know if anyone had tried this and whether or not there was a decrease in heat due to specific case colours, as it would, in effect, be a free method of cooling.

[CENTER]rv13uk[/CENTER]

Hi i havnt tryed that as of yet :rolleyes: but i think it would work as i am a yr 12 phyics student and that should work. It probably wont be noticeable difference though. :angel:

Yer thats pretty much what I thought, and with cases (especially nicely lit ones) black usually looks so much nicer :D , its probs only worth considering if youve got a computer right next to the window or something. A bit off topic but this idea actually came from another crazy idea about a weird cube thingy I thought of, not sure if it wud work but basically take a cube and paint the inside walls silver, and the outside walls black, and then place it inside a vacuum. With my reasoning it would just get hotter and hotter, and may be quite efficient if you sent water through it, havnt got the equipment to try it but id be interested to know if u thought it'd work lol :p . Ooh, 10 more posts till im no longer a 'newcomer, in training', i should have split this into 3 posts ;) .

[CENTER]rv13uk[/CENTER]

yeh ok, ive got a extrelmy cool case so i dont bother with colour :) but good luck with what ever crazy ideas you got :p

i have a few good ideas! keep your computer away from windows! no thats not it tho. me and my buddy tried running a hose from his window unit AC. it didnt work too well cause we got bored and started making penis jokes with the tube. but now we have a getter idea. we need to find a way to use the compressed freon (still used in ac?) and use it to cool off the case some how. if its not possible, were just gonna take it out to some field and duct tape it to a propane tank and blow it up or something.

nice, im just vaguely wonderin how well a computer would work in a vacuum ;) silver case, in a vacuum...be rather gud, although not sure how well fans wud work and any heat generated wouldnt be able to escape...bak to the drawing board :D

the vacuum thing is just too much trouble to execute. Might as well have a case, modify it so you can accomodate 2 HUGE fames (120mm ones are tiny compared to what I have in mind) and have one blowing in one way, and the other sucking the air out the other way. Therfore its always fresh, cold air in your com!

Of course such huge fans with that amount of CFM output will be kinda noisy, and you probably need a 240V supply, not the dinky 12V from your PSU :p

About the black/silver case: probably see up to 5C difference assuming you've got it next to the window, on a very sunny day (the kind where if you stand half in the sun, half under the shade you can feel a burning sensation). But then, the solution is simple: get it in a shade!

this "radiation heat" i keep hearing about, is it harmful to humans or anything living if the case is off? Is my uhhh lil willy gonna shrink? lol

Yep

Night_Predator_ said:
this "radiation heat" i keep hearing about, is it harmful to humans or anything living if the case is off? Is my uhhh lil willy gonna shrink? lol
Most likely!
I'm certain I can find a geeky scientist to verify this fact.
Kinda like cell phones cause brain tummers.
:giddy: :haha: :eek: :hotouch:
More to the point, there is a company here in Az. that will cryonically
seal your box. and save any willie prob's :haha:
Git er duuuun

I don't believe I missed the part about the freon!

Yeh, I've been looking into that. You'll need to take apart a fridge (or get the componets another way) and hook it up to the comp. Theoretically it will work, but you'll have to seal everything correctly. Nothing will blow up if you don't, but you'll have to keep replacing freon that way (btw, its no longer freon, thats been banned, some new prodects have been invented to replace it, but for convenience, lets call it freon. Shop guys will know what you're talking about if you ask them).

also, heat does not just dissappear, it's just been moved elsewhere, so you'll need to solve that problem at the radiator, so you'll need some fans there.

You might have to worry about condensation, something which can be easily fixed with a thermostat. Make sure the case temp doesn't go anything lower than 5C or something. If you expect it to go lower, you gotta vacuum seal the whole PC (which is not a bad idea, depending on the power on that compressor).

Other possible problems: high power consumption. You definately won't be able to run that off your computer power supply. Also expect your electric bills to jump.

My thoughts on this: do it and post pics :D

Not sure if this has bin verified yet so Ill attempt and if it has my apologies people :D (im only a Yr11 physics student though lol, there may be other stuff I dont know bout). As far as I know 3 types of heat - conduction, convection and radiation. Radiation is like the suns heat, only one that can travel through vacuum hence the vacuum idea (and y we get suns heat through space :)), conduction and convection not bein able 2 travel through vacuum in theory wudnt be able 2 get through in2 a vacuumed pc so they wudnt be factors, and with a silver case in theory all external heat factors would be taken care of. The problem would be finding a way 2 remove the heat generated inside the pc, as it cudnt get out of the vacuum either. This may be wot the freon stuff was trying 2 solve, not entirely sure...not entirely sure how sum1 wud excecute this madcap plan either, and it probs wud be more trouble than its worth...mebe ur pc wud implode in times of heavy load, like a mini supernova or sumthin :D Anyway, im just proud that ive successfully started a crazee topic hehe and mebe sum rich guy can try it out and put my queries at rest :haha:

[CENTER]rv13uk[/CENTER]

Please use spellcheck. It was very hard to read your message. Part of being a good scientist is being able to convey your message! :)

Painting the inside of the case black would raise the ambiant temperature of the case. Obviously this energy has to dissapate somewhere. Both internal and external to the case.
The basic problem with heat issues in cases is that it gets trapped. The more one can vent the heat away, the better. However, one gets another issue when a lot of induction fans are used: accumulation of dust.

Well i guess either cases wernt made for mass numbers of fans (Dust).

I guess thats why water cooling was invented :rolleyes:

water cooling is a radical alternative. I don't really recommend it as water is conductive and 1 small leak will ruin your system.

Larger super-computing systems use liquified cryogenic noble or inert gases to cool the electronics. Of course this is impractical for a home user unless they have a fresh supply of xenon, argon, or nitrogen on hand.

I'm thinking maybe a small di-electrical refrigerating system could be an alternative. They already have them on portable picnic coolers. You just plug it into your car cigarette lighter.

Precicly right, but i heard that you can get water that does not conduct electricity as it is free of all dissolved matter eg: calcuim,zinc. Sort of like distilled water.

I put my new case together 2days ago and i have a clot of dust over my cpu hanging on the grill :dead:

Distilled water DOES conduct electricity, but not as efficiently as regular water with minerals in it. This is because the minerals normally dissolved in water like calcium, magnesium, and salts are ionic compounds.

Hydrogen is an excellent producer of negative ions that form current.
If you remember from basic chemistry class, water is one part oxygen with 2 parts hydrogen.

Deionized water should not conduct electricity at all. It is also supposed to be of perfectly neutral pH.

If you are going to go crazy you might as well drop your whole PC in mineral spirits, I've seen some sites on that, everything should stay running, and contaminates aren't as much of a problem as they are with DIW.

The idea of painting the inside of the case black to help reduce heat wouldn't work. Colours only work in relation to Light energy and not heat energy produced by resistors. Black absorbs the most light wavelengths, where as white absorbs the least amount of light wavelegnts, therefore staying cooler.

Ultra Pure Water

We will settle this water debate once and for all. Ultra pure water will not conduct electricity, deionised water can sometimes conduct electricity and tap water will conduct electricity. Ultra pure water is extremely hard to get unless you know somebody with a milli-q and a steam distiller. Deionised water is easy to find, you can get it by the litre in a car shop for a car radiator. The problem with these cooling systems is that material from the rubber hoses and copper heat sink can leach into the water and make it conductive again, which if the hoses leak will short out your computer. The makers of the water cooling systems recommend that you use deionised water, because tap water contains calcium which can build up on the hot copper heat sink like the inside of a kettle and tap water contains chlorine which can degrade rubber. ULTRA PURE WATER DOES NOT CONDUCT ELECTRICTIY TAP WATER DOES.

LOL, very true but im sure that this "ultra pre water" has a proper name. i will research it thanks for the info.

Tedster said:
Distilled water DOES conduct electricity, but not as efficiently as regular water with minerals in it. This is because the minerals normally dissolved in water like calcium, magnesium, and salts are ionic compounds.

Hydrogen is an excellent producer of negative ions that form current.
If you remember from basic chemistry class, water is one part oxygen with 2 parts hydrogen.

As sng stated, pure water will not conduct electricity any more than plastic will. It is an excellent insulator in its pure form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back