Creating a home network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, I have a D-Link WBR-2310 router, which 4 computers, and 2 gaming consoles connect to. They can connect to the internet just fine, but have no way of interacting with each other.

I'd like to have a system going on here, that makes it so you can print from a printer connected to another computer, access that computer's files, etc. just through the network, but have no idea how I'd go about doing it. I've looked online, but have no idea what to start looking for.

Ideally, I'd like to have a system going on where all computer share the same domain, or workgroup (Whichever its called)

3 computers are running XP Home edition, and mine is XP Professional edition.

Sadly, I'm the router's admin as I know most about the stuff, the getting people connected to the internet and whatnot, but I'd really like to have a real network going on here.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

The reason that they cannot 'see' each other is probably because they are not signing on to the same network.
To do this, go to Control Panel, System and select the Computer name tag. change the workgroup name to whatever you like as long as it is the same on all machines. Reboot them all as prompted and it should work.
You then need to share the resource on each machine that you want the other PCs to access - printers and folders. Then you can access them from the other machines and install printers or map drives as you need.

XP Home and Pro have a Home Network Setup Wizard that does an excellent job. I bet if you ran that and didn't have any 3rd party firewalls blocking normal network activity you'd be all set.

1. all systems must have the same workgroup name; XP defaults to MSHOME and Win/98 to WORKGROUP
  2. enable Simple File Sharing everywhere
  3. assuming the windows firewall; enable print/file sharing
  4. on systems with a folder to be shared (NOT THE HD!), right-click on the folder->properties->sharing
  5. on the printer, right-click on the printer name->properties->sharing

get all system running; My Computer->view Folders
on the left will be My Network Places;
click the {+} to view Entire Network
{+} Ms Windows Network,
{+} workgroup name you chose
ALL your systems names should appear
{+} the system with the shared printer
click on Printer & Faxes
and your printer name should appear

Status
Not open for further replies.