Critical System Errors! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been recieving an error message in my taskbar since I installed a windows media player codec pack. The message says "System detected virus activities....." and that I should install some program that is called VirusBursters which looks sort of fake. I have unistalled te codec pack, and ran virus, spyware, and adware scanners. All came back with nothing, but the pop up remains. I followed the "Trojan Pakes and other nasties, preliminary removal instructions." and here are my results.

Also while in safe mode message still appears, if that helps in any way :)

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Report-Scan-20061123-133754.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 6
  • hijackthis.log
    8.5 KB · Views: 8
Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. Extract it but don`t run it yet.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearch.html?p=ZR

O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*

O16 - DPF: {68BCE50A-DC9B-4519-A118-6FDA19DB450D} (Info Class) - http://www.blizzard.com/support/includes/cabs/si.cab

O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} - http://dm.screensavers.com/dm/installers/si/1/sinstaller.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8A6C6394-3AE3-4602-9BE5-079ECB67FAFF}: NameServer = 62.31.176.39,194.117.134.19

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{AB72364B-8FB6-4945-86AE-8D1404F964B1}: NameServer = 194.74.65.68,194.72.9.34

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F37202D9-6D1F-4CE0-BFF9-60D44959E521}: NameServer = 62.31.176.39,194.117.134.19

Only fix the above 017 entries if they don`t belong to your ISP.

O20 - Winlogon Notify: LMIinit - LMIinit.dll (file missing)

O21 - SSODL: gimmicks - {40dcff6e-af8d-4183-8ebe-a82270ac449e} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcvwaah.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted. If your computer doesn`t automatically restart, restart it manually.

These are the filepaths you need to enter into killbox.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcvwaah.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32:lzx32.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LMIinit.dll<this is part of the RemotelyAnywhere software. If you didn`t install this yourself, it should be deleted.

Once your system has rebooted, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of UnluckyProf only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

howard_hopkinso said:
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8A6C6394-3AE3-4602-9BE5-079ECB67FAFF}: NameServer = 62.31.176.39,194.117.134.19

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{AB72364B-8FB6-4945-86AE-8D1404F964B1}: NameServer = 194.74.65.68,194.72.9.34

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F37202D9-6D1F-4CE0-BFF9-60D44959E521}: NameServer = 62.31.176.39,194.117.134.19

Only fix the above 017 entries if they don`t belong to your ISP.

How can i find out whether they do or do not belong to my ISP? Is there a webiste with that sort of information available?

ns1-tel.blueyonder.net If that`s your ISP, don`t fix the 017 entries.

This thread is for the use of UnluckyProf only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks so much Howard, no more silly error mesage :D
Attached new log as per instructions, hopefully its all good now
Thanks again, hopefully we need not meet again, not because I dislike you, far from it, but that would mean I have another problem :haha:

Well done, your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

UnluckyProf said:
I have been recieving an error message in my taskbar since i installed a windows media player codec pack. The message says "System detected virus activities....."

Not sure what the name of the nasty thing is, but my antivirus/spyware/firewall just ignored it. I finally found this... http://superantispyware.com/

and it cleared my PC right up.

BTW: did you install VCCodec/VideoCompressionCodec ?
there's a blog entry on it here.
http://superantispyware.blogspot.com/2006/10/vccodecvideocompressioncodec.html

remccain said:
Not sure what the name of the nasty thing is, but my antivirus/spyware/firewall just ignored it. I finally found this...
and it cleared my PC right up.

Oh man, thank you, now my f*kin problem is solved, this software is something !

P.S.

hijackthis software is sucks ! iit's just too complicated for the average users!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

remccain said:
Not sure what the name of the nasty thing is, but my antivirus/spyware/firewall just ignored it.

There are many nasty programmes that pretend to be codecs. The chances are you could`ve just uninstalled it from add remove programmes in your control panel. Obviously, you`d need to know what the problem was and what you were looking for.

olen said:
hijackthis software is sucks ! iit's just too complicated for the average users!

It might appear complicated for the uninitiated, but it`s very good at showing whether or not there`s anything nasty running on a system. No single antispyware or antivirus programme can possibly get rid of all infections. Sometimes, these nasty little buggers have to be got rid of manually.

The superantispyware programme may well of got rid of your obvious problem. However, your system may still be infected with nasties you can`t see.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

HJT is complicated, but it is one of the *best* tools around and the support... hands down, the best - ask anyone in the industry.

Personally, I prefer a simple solution. I'm a one-stop-shop kinda guy now. Gone are the days when I used to crawl around inside a PDP11/70 and archive to magnetic tape. I'm too old for all that nonsense now.

I don't have time to print out a list of instructions and wait on support. I have stuff on my system that would make NASA go "hmmm." and come knocking at my door...

well, not really ;)

I do still follow the hardware and software industry to a small extent and when you get advice from moderators in *several* anti-virus forums to download HJT, you know it's good.

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.
There are many nasty programmes that pretend to be codecs. The chances are you could`ve just uninstalled it from add remove programmes in your control panel. Obviously, you`d need to know what the problem was and what you were looking for.

Sorry for not responding to your comment sooner.
Actually, whatever this nasty bit was, it was installed on the spot - without any interaction from me whatsoever.

I think it came from (where I was researching info on my friend's Toshiba laptop) or here which I noticed was open when the first "warning" message popped up.

My system is always up-to-date; firewall, anti-spyware-trojan-virus, etc. Everything is legal & registered, all OS updates are applied. and I use Firefox to browse.

All I can say is that it must use some new and heretofore unknown exploit - because I did *nothing* but read up on how to bypass the BIOS on a Toshiba and *bam* I'm infected and mad as hell.

Perhaps someone can check out those links and post a report of how the malware works - because afaik, my system should be darn near bullet proof.

Links removed in order to stop any one else potentially being infected.

As you can see, I`ve removed the suspect links. If they are indeed dodgy, we wouldn`t want Techspot members clicking on them would we.

It`s quite possible, that`s what happened. Just visiting some bogus websites can download infections onto your system.

Even some legit websites can be compromised, take the Myspace problem a few months ago as an example.

All the protection in the world, won`t protect you from this happening.

howard_hopkinso said:
As you can see, I`ve removed the suspect links. If they are indeed dodgy, we wouldn`t want Techspot members clicking on them would we.

Good idea - some folks just can't resist touching wet paint, even after reading the sign :p

I've nothing more to say on this subject.

EOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back