CRT or LCD monitors for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new computer for gaming (thanks to the detailed advice given in these forums) :) , and now I'm looking for a new LCD monitor. I've read that a slower response time of LCD monitors will limit 'ghosting' or blurring effects when displaying fast-changing graphics of games. Still from what I've heard it seems like CRTs are still the best option for gaming purposes. But I think an LCD would be easier on the eyes instead of staring into a cathode ray tube for hours on end while I play a game, and would take up less space on my desktop.

Any recommendations for LCD monitors that are good for displaying video games (like BF2 & other recent action games)? Or when I am shopping for a LCD monitor for gaming, what is the range of response times that I should seek?

...or should I just stick with CRT monitors?

My video card is the SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950PRO 512MB

Thanks for the tips you can provide.

u dont need to buy lcd monitor for gaming,they loose alot of pixels when it it come to fast motions.i dont even know of any LCD good for such work.R

I've been using LCD's for gaming for several years now, and have not had any problems with it.
If you get a decent quality LCD with a low response time, you'd be hard pressed to find any problematic ghosting. Sure, it might be a tad in the faster games, but not anything you'd have a problem with after the first 30 minutes.
It's not like the early LCD's where half the screen would be covered with ghosting if things changed too soon.

I'm currently playing BF2 on a Viewsonic VA1912w, which has a reported response time of 8ms, and I don't see any problems with ghosting. (Neither for Q3 or other twitch games for that sake)
The only problem, and I hesitate calling it that, with this one is the resolution which is 1440 x 900, which is fairly non-standard for now.
On the other hand, it's nice to have a widescreen LCD, as you get a lot of screen space :)

My suggestion, find a screen with a response time of 8ms or less from a reputable company and you should be safe. Post back here with some alternatives if you want input before you buy.

I have a LG Flatron 19 inch lcd, with a 4ms response time, which is the fastest ive seen for a LCD, not that ive been following LCD response times or anything, but i havent had any problems with it at all.

CRT is supposed to have better picture quality high resolutions and better refresh rates. But I have seen some pretty sweet looking widescreen lcds.

With monitors it what YOU think looks good, they are Your eyes go to a store and play with some monitors.

Rayss523 said:
CRT is supposed to have better picture quality high resolutions and better refresh rates. But I have seen some pretty sweet looking widescreen lcds.

With monitors it what YOU think looks good, they are Your eyes go to a store and play with some monitors.
Where'd you get that from? CRTs have higher res? No way. CRTs go up to... I believe 2048x1536, and those ones are stupidly large, heavy, expensive (for a CRT) and rare. LCDs go up to 2560x1600.

You don't necessarily have to have a monitor from a reputable company for it to be good. For example, the box and manual and all papers that came with my LCD never stated what brand it was, so I assumed it was no-name, hence the low price. According to hardware detection, it turned out to be a view sonic. I'll be damned, but View Sonic is far from a no-name brand.

What LCD monitor goes up to 2560x1600?

I've also been told the CRT produce darker blacks.

BTW I'm planning on upgrading to 2 LCD Samsung monitors soon very soon.

MrGaribaldi said:
I've been using LCD's for gaming for several years now, and have not had any problems with it.
If you get a decent quality LCD with a low response time, you'd be hard pressed to find any problematic ghosting.

My suggestion, find a screen with a response time of 8ms or less from a reputable company and you should be safe. Post back here with some alternatives if you want input before you buy.

Here are a few LCDs that caught my eye. They have a low response time, have some favorable reviews from customers, and they fit my budget. Which do you think would be best, or all they all pretty equal in quality?

$170
Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD

$190
Acer Value Line AL1916WAbd Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD

$200
SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD

$210
ViewSonic Graphic Series VG1930wm Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen

CRTs do produce darker blacks but that's not reason enough to get one over an LCD screen, mainly because of the weight. They also cost almost the same, so why not get a cooler-looking, lighter LCD than a heavy CRT. For gaming, look for an LCD with a response time of less than or equal to 5ms. That is the sweet spot for gaming LCDs and ensures ghosting-free gaming. So from the above list, the Samsung LCD is the best with gaming in mind. But if ur looking for a value-for-money LCD, the Hanns.G one can't be beat. I've personally recommended it to a lot of people, including a certain TimeParadox :). Search for him here on TS if ur looking to get the Hanns.G, otherwise get the Samsung monitor.

And @MetalX, brands do affect the quality of output, since no-name LCDs have crappy colour output and cause bleeding edges more than often. I have seen a lot of those so I'm pretty sure of that fact.

As for one i find Samsung and LG to be the best in LCD monitors so if you are to buy one, you should think of those first.

just to share my own view: I'm using both. I prefer the LCD for normal school work, typing documents and stuff. However, when gaming, I still prefer the CRT. My LCD has 8ms response time, so that's slower than my CRT. I also feel(when playing e.g. counterstrike) my CRT is easier on the eyes. My LCD seems to emit brighter colors somehow. When I compare e.g. snow on both monitors, the LCD shows me much brighter and lighter snow, and the CRT is a bit darker. Anyway, I still prefer my good old CRT.

I'm not sure how it is over there, but locally, it's quite easy to get a 2nd hand CRT for free(from people where the monitor is just in their way). Not something you probably want, but if you really can't decide, might be a good place to start. Also, you could have a look in stores with a LCD and a CRT next to eachother, and see which colours/brightness you like most.

as far as I know, it's 6ms. However, it might be less. I tend to get some ghosting on my lcd and none on my CRT at all.

The LCDs you mentioned are good choices. LCDs are the best choice I have one and get no ghosting.

Also CRTs get me motion sick sometimes. Plus the emit cancer causing rays.

Go with an LCD but get an extended warrenty because they are fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back