Ctrl + alt + delete problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I use the ctrl alt delete shortcut, the task manager will come up, then disappear within a second. It will leave it's icon in the task bar in the bottom right of my computer, and whenever I move my mouse near it is disappears.

If it is being caused by a virus then Norton can't detect it.

I'm using Windows XP home edition if it matters.

Try booting into safe mode and see if you have the same problem.

Some viruses/worms are known to do this in order to avoid detection. It may as well be that Norton has already been disabled too.

Okay, turned out I had w32.spybot.worm

I managed to get delete all of it, and I'm pretty sure I deleted the value from the registry, but it still seems to be active somehow because ctrl alt delete and all the other things won't work outside of safe mode. I've deleted all the files, and nothing is picking up anything.

Well those pesky virii usually clone themselves and change names. Try to use adaware and see if that can't get rid of it.

I fixed it. Anyways, I had just updated my AV less then a week ago.

Turned out I had a whole different strain then most of the ones I've seen explanations for. There was another viral type thing that I had to delete that Norton and every other AV I tried wasn't even picking up at all. For most people the msconfig32.exe seemed to be the only thing disabling their stuff, but it was a whole different virus file that was disabling mine. Finding it was a major pain.

Try using Heuristic scan option in your AV software, Norton and some others have it as an option, there is a learning curve to using it if you aren't familiar with some of the files that send up flags, such as macros. Heuristic scan is really the best because it doesn't just look for "known virus types" it also looks for files that have characteristics of a virus or something and can flag it as a possible virus. This is where the curve comes in. In order to properly use this option you have to be somewhat familiar with what is on your disks.

Hey

Hey MatthewN
How exactly did u get rid of it. i have that exact problem and i have spybot search adn destroy for spyware, adware for more spy ware and norton. It is not finding anything. Can u please post the details of how u did this

Thanks

Jack

I have replied to your other post, but you need to run both programs in Safe Mode and make sure that they are both up to date before running them.

poertner_1274 said:
I have replied to your other post, but you need to run both programs in Safe Mode and make sure that they are both up to date before running them.

Hey can you help... i have no idea what safe mode is... can you tell me how to get there? My CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work either, it won't open :(

First of all, have a good read here and follow the directions exactly. Then take a look here on how to attach your hijack this log as an attachment.

That should take care of everything.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

ok the hijackthis i have no ide what to do, what to pick and clean =/ i used my adaware and found this : Win32.P2P-Worm.Alcan.a
:(
sorry for bieng a pain

IT was a virus, i had to go into safe mode adn look in windows/ system 32. I had a file name called etwr, that was a text pad entry, it will say "keylogger started - a certain date" take that date and look for a application created on that date, once u find it, u can delete it if ur in safe mode. The etwr thing kept track of everything that u typed.

I am having hte same problems, now if I restart in safe mode...when I go back to regular mode will the ctrl+alt+delete come back up? because the window doesnt even popup for me at all...and I am getting reallly annoyed, I just reconfigured my computer and I dont facny having to do it again. ;_; please help

Tried agian and agian

I did that long and painfull method above but it hasnt worked at all. If someone pehaps could help me, I have my most recent log file Via HJT, perhaps someone could help as to pick out the bad file?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Fukurou said:
I did that long and painfull method above but it hasnt worked at all. I have my most recent log file Via HJT, perhaps someone could help as to pick out the bad file?

Go and have your computer scanned HERE.

Then go and follow the instructions in this thread HERE.

Then see. How to post your Hijackthis log-file as an ATTACHMENT.

Open a new thread in the security and the web forum and post your HJT log, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

it is very foolish to post your email address on a public forum. I guess you like spam.

Tedster said:
it is very foolish to post your email address on a public forum. I guess you like spam.

Good point Tedster.

Fukurou. You should edit your post above and remove your e-mail address asap.

Regards Howard :)

Fixed it so it's gone, thanks for that little warning, However, it's still shown in the Quote above which I dont think that I can change.

Not what I thought

This program running in the background, much like what the other discribed is diffrent somhow. When I start my computer, I can press ctrl alt delete before the Worm has time to run it's script, and there I see in System Tasks (Project 1) shortly after that go away, in Processes I see (b.exe) the website for house call gave me the registry keys to fix then I run house call to delete the Infected files, For anyone else who is able to see this, Check this thead http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SDBOT.BND&VSect=T and for a list of other types to that nature http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=&letter=B

PS.
House Call wont go past "Idle"

Follow the rest of the instructions. then, open a new thread in the security and the web forum and post a HJT log as instructed.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back