Custom fan-mounts good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grafficks

Hey everyone. I just have a quick question about something I've been doing with fans in my case.

My case originally is intended to have three case fans: one 120mm front intake, one 120mm rear exhaust, and one 80mm side-panel intake.

However, I got creative and added two more fans. One of them is on the hard drive racks. The other is on the empty expansion slots of the case. They are mounted with cable ties which I also used for tidying the cables inside the case.

I just want to know if this is safe, and if it would be detrimental in any way.

I for one think that it is pretty creative, and would like to keep them oriented in that fashion. I have seen no problems thus far with doing this, but I would just like to hear your opinions.

Images are attached:

expansion.slot.fanmount1.JPG

Look at the bottom left corner. The fan is mounted at the unused rear expansion slots of my case. It takes advantage of that extra space and possibly helps the exhaust of the air from the graphics card fan. It will come out if I use the PCI slot to upgrade to a sound card.

hdd.fan.mount1.JPG

Look at the bottom right corner for the 80mm fan. This one is mounted on the empty hard drive racks, and will need to come out if I add another hard drive.

Please excuse the crappy quality of the photos, but you get the picture.

Creating extra fan mounts...would this be a good idea or bad idea?
Thanks!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you have done, I have done the same thing myself on a few occasions.
The good thing about using cable ties as opposed to screws is that they will fix almost anywhere and will not vibrate loose.

Nice. Don't see any problems with those setups.. as long as you follow the good airflow rules (bottom >top, front >back, sides in). Me, i've done a bit of modding on my case (and for one of the fan positions used a rubber band to fix into place :D)

How noisy is it?

Why did you add a fan below the hard drive? The one at the front of the case is already blowing air in. Also it looks like you are blowing air in a direct line at the bottom of the case right into a fan at the bottom blowing out? Thats not doing much cooling.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. It's good to hear there's nothing wrong with doing this.

As for noise, I won't lie: it is not quiet, nor is it ridiculously loud either. It is completely bearable. Besides, the noise of one's PC is the one thing you can easily get used to :D.

I added the fan on the empty expansion slots because it can help exhaust the hot air produced by the graphics card's stock cooler fan.

I added the fan on the empty hard drive racks because I have seen some cases have a fan positioned there. They would have two fans on either side of the hard drive rack, blowing air right through them, cooling them. I understand that this is not possible for my case, since my hard drive cannot fit between that 120mm fan and that 80mm fan.

However, I would rather have a fan in my case (even though it might not help much) than to have any "spares" lying around. As long as it does not harm anything. Besides, the fan below the HDD and the graphics card are low-RPM, low-noise, and (yes, you guessed it) low-CFM.

As long as they don't cause trouble I'm okay with it. There is no downfall except taking another 5W from the PSU and adding another 1/4 pounds to my PC. They produce virtually no noticeable noise and have beautiful LEDs.
I'm sure they do something at least. But if they don't, there's no downfall to their presence (which is what I wanted to confirm in this thread).

Thanks for the comments!!:)

As long as its secure and no wires are gonna cut off the spinning, Your set,

Just so long its not moving when spinning,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back