Dad's Computer Has Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

He always has viruses when running scans, and I though I'd post a HJT log.
HE has antivirus AVG, which doesn't do the trick for him, hence the viruses.He doesn't have a firewall or a Antispyware. But I only have 5 mins in which to sought him out so, I'l just post this log, and see what you think.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    6 KB · Views: 5
I'm not doing the Hijack log- someone else does that, but I will address your Dad's security. If he has an anti-virus program and does not update regularly and scan frequently, he's going to continue to get malware. And he absolutely needs at least 2 spyware/adware programs, also updating and scanning frequently.

I suspect that not all of the malware is viral, so unless he will protect his system from "all" malware, it's going to be a waste of time to clean him up!

Your 5 minutes really isn't going to help him unless you can spare some time to advise him of what he needs to do to avoid the frequent infections.

he has avg, which updates automatically, and ad-aware 2007.also an out-of date SS&D 1.4. He only really does avg scans maybe once or twice a month.
i'll try and clear him up with some hence scan-a-thon, when he's away on business.
Anyone to check Hijackthis log please?

have hjt fix this entry:

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

and unless your isp is Freedom Networks LLC then fix
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{34CD6814-EFBC-4F29-AC38-AE350E8C2794}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
but it might be best to leave it for now

what sort of problems is your dad having?

his computer is coming up to 3 years now, and he runs Emule alot, so he is liable to virus's, and his computer is getting slow. also every virus scan, he seems to be getting something new

then i would recommend downloading a free firewall e.g. zone alarm or comodo (prevention is better than cure ;)) and if the pc is getting slower, try defragmenting the hard drive, downloading CCleaner, and making sure you have a decent amount of free hard drive space (at least 20% is recommended)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back