Damage mobo by plugging in power button backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

agronick

Can I damage my motherboard by plugging in the case power button connecter backwards? Neither my case nor my motherboard specifies what is negative and what is positive.

Can I damage my motherboard by turning it on with nothing in it? (Ram, processor...)

I attached a picture of my current set up and a scanned diagram of my mobo manual.

Current set up:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4542

Attachments

• mymanual.GIF
    mymanual.GIF
    20 KB · Views: 8
The case power switch is just a switch which shorts the two pins on the mobo via the leads and case switch. Short answer : no it doesn't matter which direct the case power switch leads plug into the mobo.

Can you damage the mobo by turning it on without RAM and CPU...no, but why would you want to? Really destroyed RAM or CPU which looks like a short (electrically), yes! time to buy new mobo. But no RAM or CPU is just an open circuit so you'll just hear alot of beeping from the BIOS.

OK thanks. That dude in the other thread said I could destroy my mobo. I thought he was wrong so I made this post.

The reason I wanted to turn it on with nothing in it was because I am building the computer I just wanted to see if I could get the fans to spin to see if I hooked it up right.

Word of advice:

Make sure you install the CPU heatsink and fan correctly. Use thermal paste!!! (unless the fan unit comes with a thermal adhesive pad).

Make sure you use the insulating washer for the mobo stand-offs to avoid shorting your mobo to the case. (very common with new builders).

Read your mobo manual about correct RAM installation, slot 1 and 3 or slot 2 and 4, but not 1 and 2, stuff like that. Each mobo has it's own stupid configuration.

And most important, have fun. Actually most important is not to touch the pins of the CPU when installing and make sure the lock down is seated properly.

Enjoy.

Yep I know about everything you said except for the insulating washers. My mobo didn't mention anything about it in the manual and my case didn't come with any. My motherboard has a metal area around where the screw holes are. I think this is to absorb static electricity directly.

Your thoughts?

NO I'm pretty sure you mean some part of the circuit trace on the mobo, (this metal area). If your stand-offs, or mounts (whatever word u wnt to use) are not plastic, then your mobo should have little insulating washers. If you have problems like the PSU turns on for a few seconds and shuts off and the PC won't boot, then you know you need washers on your mobo standoffs/mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back