Damaged Lexar USB Flash, asking for REFORMATTING Need to rescue data - HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damaged Lexar USB Flash, asking for REFORMATTING Need to rescue data.

Now, right up front, I’d hazard that I’m the LEAST technically proficient member on this board. So I’ll apologize in advance for being so….naive.

I have a Lexar 256 USB Flash drive that I managed to damage. I could lift gently on it and it would make a connection. It would still work – so I kept using it. Genius – I know. I used it the other day and it worked fine, but now when I plug it in it acts like new hardware and tells me that that I need to reformat it. it has done this one my work laptop and two home PCs - same results, so i don;t think it's the computer.

Any way to recover the stuff I have on there before I break down and buy a new one?

~ Keith

Hello, emodwarfkid, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, try it on another pc. If it works then copy your data onto there and copy it back after formatting the drive. If not then i'm afraid you'll have to just format it, flash drives just break sometimes and need to be formatted to make them work again.

Thanks for the reply.
I've tried to fix my post a little.
Have no idea about system specs (duh...), but I'll see what I can find out.

Is this not the correct forum? Please advise.

I have already tried the flash drive in three different computers, so I guess I'm screwed huh?

Live and learn....

i would say that this is the right forum, i just put that link in for all new members :)

if moving the drive around in the usb slot doesn't get it to work then i expect something has broken inside the drive and you will need to replace it

sorry to be the bearer of bad news :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back