Damaged Processor Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have an asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe socket 775 motherboard and while tightning a screw the screwdriver sliped onto the processor socket (no processor in yet) and damaged three or four pins. Is there any way to repair or replace the processor socket or do I need to get a full new motherboard.

Hello, jagjit_r, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, it depends on how bad the damage is. If it's a scratch on the plastic of the socket then you'd probably be ok but if it's more badly damaged then it would probably be best to send it back to the shop and get a replacement

I've had some excellent success with bent pins on processors and sockets. It takes a lot of patience, a magnifying glass and a really thin razor blade. With the razor blade, I've been able to realign 4-5 pins in a row at a time. You just have to be very careful and be very patient. My favorite is the angled blade pen usually found in an electronics tool kit. It fits perfectly between the pins with very little slack. Instead of tilting the blade left or right, you twirl the blade in the direction that you need to go to align the pins. Just remember, if you don't have the patience, you may just break the pins off their housing and then the part is hosed for good. For those without the patience, it may just be easier to attempt to return the part, although this doesn't always meet with success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back