Dammit , why dont motherboard manufacturers provide a floppy disk with SATA drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

I hate going through the F6 process during Windows installation where you have to make your own sata driver floppy that is almost impossible to find on the cd or website, and requires you to have another computer avaliable to make one. If they gave you a pre-made floppy disc with SATA drivers, then everything would be much easier, but thats not happening. Probally because they dont think not everyone is going to use Windows on the board, so hey, why not provide a floppy, it will save them a few cents.

I'm ranting about this because my ASUS board makes everything so diffucult.

What do you guys think?

Some mobos do come with the driver floppy..

#1 reason - it costs money to bundle floppies.
Some more reasons: Most of the motherboards are installed by OEMs who either don't need the floppy or have to prepare it only once for dozens of installations. And most people do not format and reinstall Windows often enough to make the floppy a needed convenience item. And most new systems ship without a floppy drive anyway (they may come with a manufacturer restore CD instead).

IMO it is Microsoft who should be bitched at, offering only such an archaic method of providing additional drivers to the OS during installation. We have things like optical media and USB storage support right in the installer, why on earth can't I install drivers from these!?

I never build computers without a floppy drive. They're still required for legacy and BIOS purposes. It's foolish to think you'll never need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back