Dark Color Display Problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone please help as I am at a complete loss. :confused: I am having a display problem where all dark colors (mostly black) are displaying as brown (burgundy) and are apppearing as a snowy, blotching effect (where the darker colors fade into lighter colors). It's the strangest thing because I just turned on my computer today without doing anything different and my display was all messed up. The problem shows up on my desktop, videos in Windows Media Player, Realplayer and Quicktime, games, and even when I am starting my computer just before the windows login screen shows up where there is supposed to be a black the brown cuts in and out instead. Even in certain parts of my screen dark colored text is sharp in some areas and appears smudged in others, as if I'm pressing on the screen but I'm not. I have absolutely no problems with any lighter colors at all.

My computer (which I've owned for 2.5 years) specs are as follows:

Windows XP - Professional
NetVista M42 Pentium 4 1.8GHz
RAM Type: PC2100 DDR SDRAM - 256 MB

Monitor: ViewSonic VP201s LCD Display - I am not using the DVI cable (at least I don't think I am) just the regular one as I couldn't get the DVI cable to work (which is another issue)

Video Card: RAEDON 9200 AGP - 128 MB
Bios Information: BK-ATI VER008.015.048.001
Driver Date 2/22/2005
Driver Version: 6.14.10.6517

I have followed the troubleshooting through my display properties and have adjusted the graphic hardware accelerator without any luck. I have even tried to uninstall and re-install my video card without any luck. I have no idea if this is my monitor or my video card but I've had both for almost 1 full year without any problems at all. I even did a virus check and found nothing.

I'm not much of a computer tech person as my troubleshooter suggested I check my BIOS to see if it's up to date but I don't know how to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

seems like the monitor went south. if it's still under warranty you may not have to buy a replacement.

zephead said:
seems like the monitor went south. if it's still under warranty you may not have to buy a replacement.

Hmmm. I will take my monitor back to where I bought it as I know that I bought at 2 year extended warranty.

Thanks for the reply.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics card is not going to help you if the driver is corrupted. Download a fresh set of drivers and save them to your hard drive. You need to go into add/remove programs and uninstall the ATI drivers. If you get a message that you need to reboot to finish the uninstall, say no or cancel. Then go into your device manager and now you can uninstall the display adapter. Reboot and the new hardware wizard will open (Oh ya if you do thid right your resolution will be bad and everything will look huge). Then when it askes for the driver location just browse to the place you put the downloaded drivers. Oh make sure when you download the drivers that you unzip them first if they came in a compressed/zip file. Hopefully that will fix your problem. If it ends up being your monitor, then you just did all this for nothing LOL Good luck. Post back if you get it fixed and tell us how you did it so others can learn for you.

luvhuffer said:
Uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics card is not going to help you if the driver is corrupted. Download a fresh set of drivers and save them to your hard drive. You need to go into add/remove programs and uninstall the ATI drivers. If you get a message that you need to reboot to finish the uninstall, say no or cancel. Then go into your device manager and now you can uninstall the display adapter. Reboot and the new hardware wizard will open (Oh ya if you do thid right your resolution will be bad and everything will look huge). Then when it askes for the driver location just browse to the place you put the downloaded drivers. Oh make sure when you download the drivers that you unzip them first if they came in a compressed/zip file. Hopefully that will fix your problem. If it ends up being your monitor, then you just did all this for nothing LOL Good luck. Post back if you get it fixed and tell us how you did it so others can learn for you.

Well I did everything you suggested and I was able to change my drivers. Unfortunately it didn't work though. :(

Thank you for the suggestion though as I now know how to update my drivers now. I guess it's back to the store for my monitor now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back