'Data Is Invalid' Error message when installing wireless USB adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Netgear WN121T Wireless USB adaptor but it won't install. I have downloaded the latest firmware (version 5) and tried to install it but I get an error message saying 'Data is inavlid'. After searching forums I have attempted to change the permissions in the device manager and I have aldo deleted the contents of teh driver cache. Neither solutions have worked for me and I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

general rule of thumb - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it was working fine prior to the firmware update, then you shouldn't have messed with it. I would try to go back to the defaults.

Tedster said:
If it was working fine prior to the firmware update, then you shouldn't have messed with it.

It wasn't....

I found a fix though after stumbling upon another google page. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ENUM\USB and then find the USB device you are trying to install. Then right click and choose permissions and check the box for Allow.

Another possible cause for "Data Is Invalid" message

Here's another thing to try to deal with the "Data Is Invalid" mesage when the system cannot install a driver. This happened to me with a USB flash drive but may occur with anything.

The reason is that one or more of the files in \windows\system32\dllcache are corrupt. This directory is used as a holding area for various critical system files, but if a file in there is found to be corrupted, the system looks no further - just displays that message.

Here's how to find out. Make sure you have the XP installation cd handy, or if you have an oem system, a directory called c:\i386. Please read through one time before starting.

1. Open the event viewer from computer management in control panel, or do start/run/eventvwr.msc

2. Clear the system log. Leave the window open.

3. Do start/run/cmd

4. Type sfc /scannow. This program (System File Checker) will compare the files in dllcache to the original files, and write any problems to the event viewer.

5. After the scan is done, click Action/Refresh in the event viewer. The results of the scan are in the Sources marked "Windows File Protection". Double click on each to read. Damaged files will have the "data is invalid" message in the log.

6. To cure the condition, make sure you have the xp cd or the i386 directory as above. Then run sfc /purgecache from the cmd window. This will remove all the files from the dllcache directory, but don't worry, the system will replace them with fresh copies from the appropriate .cab files on the system or cd.

7. If you're impatient, skip steps 1-6 and just run sfc /purgecache.

8. Close all windows, reboot, and try your device again. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back