Data Transfer Cable... Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you don't nessecarily need a router for just one on one gaming. A crossover ethernet cable is all you need, and you can connect two machines directly. You can even make your own crossover from a straight.

Of course, that doesn't work if one of them is a laptop that has no ethernet port. In that case you'd need a PCMCIA Ethernet adaptor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2030260034+4093+1178312020&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=34

The transfer cable you're looking at there is certainly fast enough (faster than most internet connections, for example), but the problem is the fact that you'd have to install the driver on both machines to use it, and untill you bought it, you wouldn't know what any connection lag might be (which hopefully would be negligable.)

That said, as long as both machines have an ethernet port, I would stick with using a crossover ethernet cable. It's cheap, it's fast, and it doesn't need drivers.

Spike said:
you don't nessecarily need a router for just one on one gaming. A crossover ethernet cable is all you need, and you can connect two machines directly. You can even make your own crossover from a straight.

Of course, that doesn't work if one of them is a laptop that has no ethernet port. In that case you'd need a PCMCIA Ethernet adaptor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2030260034+4093+1178312020&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=34

The transfer cable you're looking at there is certainly fast enough (faster than most internet connections, for example), but the problem is the fact that you'd have to install the driver on both machines to use it, and untill you bought it, you wouldn't know what any connection lag might be (which hopefully would be negligable.)

That said, as long as both machines have an ethernet port, I would stick with using a crossover ethernet cable. It's cheap, it's fast, and it doesn't need drivers.

I second that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back